Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I am thinking about dropping big$$$ on a Mac Pro. I am stingy with my $$$ so I am trying to buy something now and save $ and hassle by maybe spending more now to spend less in the future.
I am thinking about buying now because who knows when the new mod. will come out. I am trying to decide on 2 ATI or 1 GeForce card to get to the 512. I would only be driving one LG W2600H-PF Black 25.5' 5ms Widescreen. Also is this monitor really good? I paid $400 for it.
Also what do you think about the free word processing O.O. etc. for the Mac? Or should I just buy the Apple word processing software?

I just want to search the net, watch tv and play whatever good games may come out. I may like the new Call of Duty. Music and talk shows. Some photo stuff not professional. Sync with my new IPhone.
Thanks for you wisdom.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
2 HD 2600 would be absolutely worthless to you. You can't combine GPU power for one display. Get the 8800 or a 3870.

Actually, get an iMac when they update in January. The Mac Pro would be absolutely worthless to you.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I have thought about that but...

You can not upgrade the video card or anything else on the IMac and I wonder if the monitor I ordered is better also VS the IMac. Although the I would not have a built in camera which may be good or bad. Is the quality and cost better to buy my on web cam for the LG?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You won't really need to upgrade the video card in an iMac, and there aren't any cards* for the Mac Pro, anyway. Buy the refreshed iMac in January. You could get a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to hook up the display you already have and have a lot more screen space. An iMac would be a far better choice for you.

*When I say "any", I mean "worth talking about"; as in, there are seven cards that work. When the Nehalem Mac Pro comes out, there will be another three cards that work... only with that model. That's it. You won't be doing any graphics card upgrading with the Mac Pro, anyway.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
I would only be driving one LG W2600H-PF Black 25.5' 5ms Widescreen. Also is this monitor really good? I paid $400 for it.

Nope. Cheap TN crap. A decent (non-TN) monitor that size will cost a few hundred dollars more.

The screen in the 24" iMac is much, much better.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
get the pro because you'll be able to extend its life by upgrading it over time. It can take more ram and you can switch the video card unlike the imac.

only thing i use in apple's iwork is keynote, get office 2008 instead. Instead of open office get neooffice, it's free as well and I find it meshes with the mac system better.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Switch... to what? There are seven cards that work now, plus three more when the Nehalem model comes out.

Gonna have to advise against this with every fiber of my being.

Well, switch to one of those 7 cards. yeah some people don't like it and with good reason, but to be honest, I've never had problems with it though I do find .docx format annoying

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Gonna have to advise against this with every fiber of my being.

Yes, But if need compatibility then that's your only real option and Don't say pages is compatible because the formatting generally gets messed up. if you don't need many of offices features then Pages is Fine. Otherwise I would get Office for Mac.

TrapOx

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Denver
I just want to search the net, watch tv and play whatever good games may come out. I may like the new Call of Duty. Music and talk shows. Some photo stuff not professional. Sync with my new IPhone.

24" iMac with 8800 graphics. You can use the display you bought as a second screen (or even the primary and use the iMac as the second screen)

I second the Office 2008 suggestion, its one of MS's very few decent programs. Unfortunately Apple's offering doesn't hold a candle to it. Open office is a good free alternative.

Munix88

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
For free word processing all you need is Open Office from Sun Microsystems. They released the OSX version in October so theres no reason to get NeoOffice anymore. Open Office has the word processor, spreadsheet, presentation stuff, etc. for pretty much anything you could need Office 2008 for. Did I mention it's FREE.

How good your monitor is really depends on what you'll be using it for. If you're not going to be doing any design/photo/film work then a TN panel is all you need (and at that price it's clearly a TN). LG actually makes IPS panels for some of the higher end monitors for other companies so I assume their own TN's can't be too bad anyway.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Well, switch to one of those 7 cards. yeah some people don't like it and with good reason, but to be honest, I've never had problems with it though I do find .docx format annoying

Why would you be switching graphics cards? Nothing you have listed would ever require a more powerful graphics card.

I vote for the iMac. Nothing you've listed requires a Mac Pro or the ability to upgrade your graphics card.

You can upgrade the RAM and the hard drive in the iMac. I'm not sure how user servicable each part is but they can be upgraded. That's all you'll need to ever upgrade for your use.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
For free word processing all you need is Open Office from Sun Microsystems. They released the OSX version in October so theres no reason to get NeoOffice anymore. Open Office has the word processor, spreadsheet, presentation stuff, etc. for pretty much anything you could need Office 2008 for. Did I mention it's FREE.

How good your monitor is really depends on what you'll be using it for. If you're not going to be doing any design/photo/film work then a TN panel is all you need (and at that price it's clearly a TN). LG actually makes IPS panels for some of the higher end monitors for other companies so I assume their own TN's can't be too bad anyway.

No, If your doing photo/Design work you need an IPS panel. TN is not a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.