2 attempts to shut down

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
This issue seemed to have resolved itself magically but it's back again.

When I click shut down the menu bar disappears but my mac does not shut down.

I have to open a program (which restores the menu bar) and then shut down again which normally does it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
It's often some App refusing to quit when asked.
Next time it happens try pressing the command option and escape keys.
That'll bring up a window telling you what's still running.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
I didn't know about that shortcut, thanks a lot, I'll check it out.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
If absolutely nothing else seems to work, you can always just press the power-on button and hold it down continuously until the Mac powers off...

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
If absolutely nothing else seems to work, you can always just press the power-on button and hold it down continuously until the Mac powers off...
No don't follow this step... Take your laptop back to apple no matter what the others on this forum say

Last edited by a moderator:

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I have had to force quit the mail app in order to shut down a few times. It seems that sometimes, not often when I quit the mail app it doesn't fully quit and I have to force quit it before being able to shut down the computer.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
I don't use the mail app.

When I looked at running programs the only thing open was Finder.

I'll try the above and report back, thanks.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
When I looked at running programs the only thing open was Finder.
What sort of network are you on? Is anyone sharing your Mac over the network? Is network performance spotty? It seems Finder will sometimes wait for network or hardware acknowledgements that never arrive.

Last edited:

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
My mac is not shared. The network has always been flawless. I do connect my mac to a shared network drive but even if I don't it still does the same thing.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility app

Select the drive you wish to repair permissions on in the left pane. Select "Repair permissions" in the right pane. Just like in the pic below.

Thanks
I see there are several permission errors mostly ibook but I don't see much about Mail app. :apple:

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility app

Select the drive you wish to repair permissions on in the left pane. Select "Repair permissions" in the right pane. Just like in the pic below.

This seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much for this. :)

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
I may have spoken too soon! It's back. :p

I repaired permissions a second time but it hasn't fixed it unfortunately. I take it this isn't a common bug in Mavericks?

I'll try turning off Wifi then shutting down when I get home to see if that makes a difference.