2 audio sources connected to 1 speaker set ... Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, May 29, 2011.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

In my living room, I have 2 audio sources: my AirPort Express (using AirTunes) and my Philips LCD TV. I also have 1 set of speakers (Harman Kardon Soundsticks II)

(I don't ever listen to both audio sources at the same time)

Currently, when I want to listen to music from my AX, I always have to unplug the speakers from my TV and plug them into the AX. I was wondering if it's possible to have some sort of splitter/cable which would allow me to connect both audio sources to the speakers at the same time?
    If such a thing exists, can you tell me what to search for on eBay?

Thanks in advance!

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Search for an Audio Input Selector. That is a very cheap solution, basically just a box which has a switch on it that you can switch between multiple inputs/outputs. You could also simply use a 3.5mm Y-splitter as long as you are not turning on both at the same time. There are certainly much more expensive solutions out there such as an amp, but I wouldn't think it's necessary for such a basic setup.

Edit: 3.5mm splitter is probably better, no switching required. Just requires that you only have one source powered on at a time or you'll get dual-audio coming through.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

So ...

I connect my speaker set's cable to one of these:

[​IMG]

Then I plug in one of these:

[​IMG]

And have 2 separate audio cables run from the splitter to my TV and Airport Express.

That would work, correct?

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I just received the cables and tried it out. It works, but there seems to be no bass at all. Just mid & hi frequencies.

Any idea why this is happening? Faulty cable, maybe?