2 Basic Logic Questions?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Soundburst, May 14, 2010.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I use Pro Tools LE to do alot of my sound design but have got round to installing my Logic Studio set that came last year.

The manuals are huge and I have consulted the "tracks" section and the "Plugins" section but couldn't find a quick answer.

In Pro Tools you can apply plugins in real time or post process the tracks. I can only find plugins in Logic to work by selecting adding an "insert" to the track. Is there a way to process a section of a track I highlight and processing it?

e.g. Say I want to add some reverb to a noise and have that as the new version of that track. . .can I process the reverb onto that section of track and then expert the region as a file that I can thereofre use in Pro Tools (the reverbed file as its own file thus not needing any processing in Pro Tools at all?)

The second question is really simple . . .in the manual it shows a track that is mini . . .and a track that is about double the height. . .I find automating audio level etc easier if the tracks are the big version but I can't find the option of double sizing it (making the waveform clearer).

Any help would be great. :)

It's not the new Logic Pro btw its the one before the last major upgrade :)

Thanks a lot.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

There might be 15 ways to do this but the what I'd do if I wanted a plug in effect to apply to only a selected part of a track is I'd duplicate the track then cut out the parts I don't want the plug in applied to. Duplicating the track does not duplicate the audio data the audio dat is never modified so two tracks can refference the same recording. Just apply the plug in to one of the tracks.

To make a track taller I think you can just resize it with the mouse.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks alot Chris.

I've done that. . .applied the plugin and then just clicked on the "export as file. . " and that has given me an AIF (with effect) that I can use in Pro Tools. :)

I figured out the track size. . . it's not like pro tools where you select the size of each track. . . it's a little sizer at the end of the window :eek::eek:

I'm up and running now. . .just going through all the effects with the manual. :)

4. deej999 macrumors regular

There are lots of ways to zoom in Logic.

You can place the mouse pointer in the bottom left of a track header. It becomes a finger. Drag up or down to resize the height of the track.

Select a track and press Control and Z. This will toggle between increasing the selected track height.

Zoom everything vertical - control and Option and down arrow
    Zoom everything horizontal - control and Option and up arrow
    There is more too that you can setup in Logic's key commands :)

For new users I say check out macprovideo.com. The Logic 101 as a download is excellent.
    40% discount code makes it even better deal.
    http://www.macprovideo.com/cart/code/10musicforpicture40

deej

oh, yeah another way to have a plugin effect part of a track is to use automation.