2 batteries - how best to use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cricketbird, Nov 21, 2008.

1. cricketbird macrumors member

I do field work, and so last summer I purchased an extra battery for my MBP to keep me going in the field. However, when I'm back in civilization, I just use the one battery and the other is just sitting there in storage (charged to ~50% per Apple's recommendations).

Is it bad for a battery to sit 3-4 months? ie - should I rotate them to "spread" the wear?
    Or is it best to use one battery continuously during my trips to civilization until its battery life gets ridiculously short, and then eventually switch to the other?

Thanks,
    CB

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have always rotated batteries for the MBP and older Powerbooks. It ensures that they will hold a charge and not shorten it's life because of lack of use or neglect. The newer models with the door and larger battery will slow the process of switching but it never hurts to have two batteries on hand.

3. cricketbird thread starter macrumors member

I'll work out some sort of rotation scheme :)

Thank you tcphoto :)

4. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

I've got two batteries as well. I generally use one for a month at a time and leave the other sitting around at ~40% charge. I haven't seen any issues with doing this.