2 Big Mass Effect 2 DLC Coming Soon.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Mar 19, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

DLC can wait, I still haven't completed the game. :p

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

The Fire Walker missions are out along with new costumes the missions are easy so far I'm on the last one however it is a big improvement over the mako from the first game. I will be buying the new stuff on the 6th for sure.:D

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The new ship looks like it controls like a character, so the over the shoulder approach, is this the case, or is that just the screen shot?

On the PC, the Mako controlled great on the original. The mouse was used to look/point the gun in any direction, while the keyboard was used to move. So I could aim at a what I wanted to shoot while driving in another direction. Why they didn't do this on the 360 version makes absolutely no sense to me.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It does control like your character, left stick to move/strafe and right to aim. Very easy.

I played through Firewalker this evening but it felt... unfinished. There's not much discussion on it yet so I dunno if I missed anything. There just didn't seem to be any conclusion to it (not that it really had any story anyway).

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

*EGHAD!* :eek: Does aim at least work independent of where the ship is moving? It looks like there's a canon on the top of the ship that's not stationary.

I'm going to hold off on buying DLC for this game for a bit. It seems to be flying at me right and left from EA. I just gave them another $40 for DA:O Awakening and I imagine before I'm done with this one, they'll be announcing something else.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The canon is fixed, but you can easily hover in any direction - just like your character can move - while keeping your aim on a spot. Trust me, it beats the Mako in every way.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I like the tank controls with the Mako, for some odd reason, this new setup -- based on the screenshots -- reminds me of Zaxxon.

Bleh, it makes it seem as if things are very linear and arcade like now -- which is how the game has been. With the Mako on the PC, I could drive in any direction and shoot in any direction, which for turrets, monsters, etc., gave me quite a bit of control/options.

This way seems cheapened. If they've gone this far, have they now added a cover system for the ship, so there are tons of ship high areas to hide behind? :eek:

I guess I'll have to try it, but it won't be anytime soon.

++++

This is free, isn't it? :D I bought the collectors version, so now that I'm logging onto the game, I'm noticing that's available as a new item...

OK, it's downloading... Well, I can't complain about FREE, but technically I paid for this.

++++

I just played the first mission on Zeona. Well, I got the ARCADE and linear part right... :( I hopped around collecting the yellow rings, which when I'm walking around, I can pick up these items without a problem, but with this ship, I had to stabilized the dam thing as it collected something as simple as credits -- they call this researching?

I really DON'T like this new ship, because with the Mako on the PC, it was more of a tool, it was part of the game, part of the exploration, it controlled like a tank -- which I liked, because it was more complex. This new ship feels like an arcade game thrown into the mix, more of a distraction from the rest of the game and the controls -- although easy, they are way too simple, only one weapon(a missile, what happened to the machine gun?), boost, jump... BLAH.. Anyways, fun is fun I guess.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I didn't think much of it either, but then again it's free and they can't exactly integrate it into the game at this point. I think some of the "big" payed DLC they have planned is going to use it though.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

True.

My thing, is that I've been playing ME2 in bouts here and there and even though overall I really like this game -- much more so than RE5 as an example -- it's always the first hour or so that as I'm playing it, that I get frustrated with the changes they made over the first, then that passes, then I'm happy again. So what I'm saying, is that I posted my rants in that phase. :eek:

11. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

exactly i wasnt a big fan of the new ammo system but After going back for another play through of Mass Effect starting i find the new one much better imo.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

There are parts that I really like about the second, like the combat, which on insanity has been just right. The Geth are actually a challenge. :)

I just get frustrated when I first start it up after a week or in this case it's been about two weeks. Then the changes like how linear the game has become bother me until the combat gets going.

I like the ammo system now, but it was after seeing how other parts of the game had been changed. I like how it takes a combination of team mates now for certain skills/abilities.

Anyways, here's hoping that Mass Effect 3 is a good balance somewhere between the first and the second. I really do miss the exploration.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Whenever I get around to another playthrough it will be on a harder difficulty (I really should have just played it on Hard the first time), but on Normal I found it wasn't really worth managing my teammates — I just left them on full AI control and only occasionally activated one of their powers myself, and they did a pretty good job.

Contrast that with the first game where, at least until later in the game, making proper use of my teammate's positioning and powers seemed a lot more important and gave the game a tactical feel that I liked (speaking of which, I'm thinking I'm going to play Infiltrator next time :)).

But in ME2 I really liked having quick access to my powers from LB/RB/Y, made the combat a lot more exciting. Wish I could have re-assigned the Y power though (it was always Singularity for my Adept).

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Games in general have gotten so easy, that I always choose the highest-level available, especially if it's multi-platform release. RE5 on the PC though -- I think hard, whichever was unlocked after a single play through -- slaughtered me when I first started. :)

On insanity-difficulty with ME2, I need my team's skills to conserve ammo and draw fire, because it's really easy to get pinned. I'm playing as an Infiltrator, so I only have abilities like tactical-cloak and ammo-mods. So I tend to use Miranda for her shield-busting abilities and then depending on the mission is who else I'll choose. I prefer Zaeed though.

I played through the first Mass Effect on veteran, then hardcore, then hardcore again -- long ramble of why. I think because it was a port from the console, the development team didn't have time to balance the AI for a mouse, so for the most part the game never gave me a challenge, so most of the time my squad was hiding in a corner while I killed everything and anything with my pistol.

On the PC, I use a tactical screen, which allows me to click on which ability I want to use and from whom. Or I can use my thumb-pad on my Belkin n52te to trigger my abilities, which I have binded to most of the number keys.