2 Blackberry Curve questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shackler, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

This may not be the place for this post, in this section or even this website but i dont know where else to go. if some one does please let me know.
    Anyways to the questions:

1. Can i set up a hot mail account with the curve?
    2. Can i use msn messenger with the curve?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's somewhat more complicated than that. The BIS server supports IMAP, POP, certain Exchange accounts with Outlook Web Access, and anything else they particularly feel like supporting. BIS in and of itself has support for Yahoo and Hotmail in spite of the fact that neither give you free POP/IMAP access, through some kind of private agreement (presumably meaning they access it through POP/IMAP sockets that you're not allowed to use).

What specifics you get varies on your service provider. In the US, T-Mobile explicitly provides Yahoo access (seems to be IMAP IDLE). They say that they do not provide Hotmail access due to commercial issues, but Hotmail works fine on my Blackberry 8700g with T-Mobile, and I did not have to go through any tricks to enable it (for the most part, to enable an account on BIS, you enter in your e-mail address and your password, and it is zero configuration).

This is what I can verify works fine: Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, GMail, Blackberry e-mail address (mine is of the form xxx@tmo.blackberry.net).

This is what I can verify does not work: Netzero.

This can vary, I guess, if you're not with T-Mobile.

With respect to MSN... T-Mobile provides a free app that does Yahoo, MSN, and AIM, but it uses SMS for each transmission, meaning it's a ripoff. If you go to eveek.com or the like, there are discussions of alternative apps, although I do not know of any sort of Adium best of all worlds free solution on Blackberries...

4. rumbletum macrumors regular

To answer your MSN question, I use a program called JiveTalk that allow you to message (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google.AIM, Jabber) and it works really well.

edit: Its not free but worth $20 imo

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks, mkrishnan. I wasn't aware that some carriers have a newer BIS that can do that! :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I don't get it, either... when you log into the BIS setup on T-Mo's website, it doesn't actually tell you *how* the Hotmail account is configured. My speculation is that there's a private agreement with RIM that allows them to use POP or IMAP with the account. And of course it's also weird considering that the T-Mobile website explicitly has a FAQ item where they state clearly that Hotmail is not available.

Now on the other hand, as of yesterday afternoon, my primary work e-mail account (IMAP) stopped syncing for no apparent reason... and I've been futzing with it. The weird thing is that I can not only send messages from the Blackberry on that account (not surprising) but those messages show up in the IMAP sent mailbox on the same server from which it is most certainly not receiving any mail! :mad: I tried the usual fix-me raindances this morning... I have to go back into a coverage area (i.e. not our Clinic) and see if it worked. :rolleyes:

These things are like crack... it's extremely difficult to go half a day without it working....

So... is Jivetalk worth exploring?

7. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

anyone on here from canada with rogers that is using hotmail on their curve?