2 Broken USB Ports

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WCNEO, Dec 2, 2015.

1. WCNEO, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

WCNEO macrumors newbie

Hey All,

In short I have two broken USB ports on a 2012 Macbook Pro. (Apple Store says new Logic Board is required. $$) The Thunderbolt, Firewire 800, and Ethernet ports work. I do have an adapter that converts Thunderbolt to a female USB that allows me to use USB devices. However, I now need the Thunderbolt port for an external monitor and thus I am without USB ports again.

My question is is there any way via an adapter to utilize the Firewire 800, or Ethernet ports as USB ports?

If not, is there a device that will act as a USB hub that can connect to the Macbook via Bluetooth without the need of connecting a USB dongle to the laptop?

I know I could live without USB ports and just buy a new set of Bluetooth devices but this option does not work for all the peripherals I would like to use. Thanks in advance!

2. jerwin macrumors 65816

3. WCNEO thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Jerwin,

Thank you for the reply. And as you said those docks are $200.00, the cost of just having Apple replace the logic board so that's not really the best solution. I have been searching for an answer to this issue since I posted this thread. For those with the same issue let me help save you some trouble, and for those who are still willing to help out, here is where I am at with the issue.

Option 1: Fail

Ethernet to USB adaptors seem to be out of the question due to the ethernet port on the Macbook is not powered. Due to this, even though there are adaptors that make ethernet into USB ports, without power, no USB device will work. I have looked into Power Over Ethernet (POE) devices (Link) to create a power source, or switch, for ethernet devices that are then connected with an Ethernet to USB adaptor (Link), but the issue arises that the power going out is going into the Macbook, not the USB devices. This is a problem because the DATA IN port is still receiving no power; in other words, the wrong end is receiving power and the data stream is not a two way street, or at least that is what I have come to a conclusion with. So, back to square one.

Option 2: Fail

I know that some monitors have USB ports in them that allows for more USB connections. The problem with this option though is for the data coming from the USB to get to the computer, it must be connected to a USB port in the computer. This will not work of course because there are no working USB ports.

Option 3: Not Tested or Confirmed.

My next hair brained idea comes in the form of a Frankenstein wire connection, so, please bare with me. The idea is to make the Macbook's Thunderbolt port into a USB Type C port. Here is how I want to go about doing this:

Thunderbolt Port with Thunderbolt cable (Link) to USB Type C adapter (Link). Then with the use of a USB Type C extender adapter or cable with TWO FEMALE ends (Link not provided, I can not find one as of right now), I connect the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (Link), thus allowing me to have an HDMI port for a monitor and a USB port to allow for USB use via a USB hub.

So, for option 3, is it possible for this to work? If so, can someone please help me find USB Type C extender adapter or cable with TWO FEMALE ends? Sorry for so many crazy questions, I just want to find a solution that doesn't require me to spend $200.00.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

You may want to verify the age or port setup on your computer. I do not believe any 2009 macs are equipped with thunderbolt. Are you sure it is not a display port instead (same plug)?

5. WCNEO thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct, my model is an A1278. (Mid 2012) I do not know why I first typed 2009, I think that was the year of a previous Macbook. I will edit my original post for the year. But yes, the Macbook Pro I have does indeed have a Thunderbolt Port. Any incite to my issue?

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Only thing I can think of is a thunderbolt hub, which like you said costs $200.

Maybe you could hook up a used/refurb Apple TV 3 to a tv and use AirPlay to extend the display?

7. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Some monitors from LG have a real thunderbolt connection instead of using your Thunderbolt port just as a display port connection and they also have an USB Hub. Not all of them are too expensive. But I am not sure if you have to connect them to an USB port too to get the Hub working.

8. jerwin, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

jerwin macrumors 65816

9. WCNEO thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh, that is a very unique run around. Thank you for the suggestion! I think my only concern would be the quality of the Airplayed image from the screen. When I used to rock an Apple TV I recall the image not being top quality. Then again, I was connecting the Macbook via Airplay to an old CRT TV. (College living and all.) If I connect the Apple TV to an LCD screen though the quality may be different. I'll look into this and if it turns out well I'll report back. Thank you!

Thank you! I looked into the prices to these type of monitors and it seems a bit out of my price range. And like you said the USB hubs may not function seeing ass most USB hubs require a connection with a working USB port, of which I don't have. Although, if the monitor is connected via Thunderbolt that may not be an issue. In either case those monitors are very expensive but it is great seeing another possible working suggestion!

Wow, I didn't know there were cheaper docks out there. $150.00 is getting close to the affordable range! I mean, $50 more and it could be a new Logic Board, but it is an option.

And my UBS-C scheme haha, dodgy? You bet it is! I just really wish someone with the right parts could experiment with my theory! It is still on the table for me to try. It brings me back to the time when my childhood dog ate through the wiring of my SNES, and my father opened up the system to wire nut the thing back into commission. To this day that SNES is functioning and that was over 20 years ago! I guess I get this craziness from him, and his frugalness.

If anyone else has any other ideas I am all ears to try them out! And if anyone can confirm or deny my USB-C Frankenstein idea I would love to hear it!