2 calendars, exchange and ical - sync both to iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by drawstring, Jul 25, 2008.

1. drawstring macrumors member

folks,

i appreciate any help someone can provide here. i've searched the forums, googled, other forums, etc. perhaps i'm just using the wrong keywords and/or my way of thinking about it means i can't find what i'm looking for.

that being said - i keep two calendars. one on an exchange server and one on my ical that i publish to a private server. I use plaxo so that from exchange i can see both my calendars and from ical i can see both calendars - but they remain separate no matter how i view them. is there a way to have that on my iphone?

e.g. i'd like to sync my exchange calendar AND my ical calendar to my iphone. not sure what i'm missing but when i turned exchange sync on it said you will lose all other calendars....

thanks so much for any help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iPhone 2.0 only allows Exchange or iCal calendar, not both.

TEG

3. drawstring thread starter macrumors member

well, ain't that too bad. i've read that were i mobileme person, i could do both. $100/yr seems like a lot to enable this for myself...

i've developed a plan currently, to use plaxo as an intermediary between os x's ical and outlook/exchange. unfortunately, outlook will only sync plaxo-exchange when open and running...

4. drawstring thread starter macrumors member

for anyone who might be interested, here is how i ended up resolving this trouble:

i used sync services to connect entourage and ical, thereby hooking my ical into exchange. i have two calendars on my exchange account that are color coded, and when I add something in entourage to my "personal" calendar it will appear in ical. when i add something to that personal calendar on the iphone it will push it to exchange server, and then if i open entourage, it will sync to ical. if i add something in ical, if i open entourage it will sync the other way as well.

not a perfect solution, but it works and keeps both calendars available and separate.

5. mcic1984 macrumors member

Am glad to have found this thread. I wanted to sync my Exchange (Work) calendar as well as my iCal (Home) calendar too, and used the same solution as drawstring -- that is, to sync Exchange via Entourage, then using Sync Services into iCal. Pretty much happens automatically, though I'll have to connect my iPhone for things to update.

Also, occasionally Sync Conflicts occur for some reason, but apart from that, it works reasonably well.

Hopefully Apple will consider the needs to sync more than just iCal or Exchange, but both =) but probably not enough people want both for them to warrant spending time on it....

6. jlormsby macrumors newbie

I recently started to use Entourage and sync services to get my work Exchange calendar into iCal. So far, it seems to be working with one issue. I seem to get two copies of meeting invitations. One shows up in my Exchange 'Calendar' folder in Apple Mail and another one in the 'In Box' folder. If that meeting has attachments, they show up in both places.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Regards,

John

7. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I'm syncing to exchange and ical.
    I sync to iCal via mobile me and to work outlook via my exchange server. I can filter by exhange or my mobile me calendars. It keeps each separate/doesn't merge the data, meaning I can see both on my phone, but on my outlook I only see the exchange data and on iCal, I only see that data.

8. melindadesign macrumors newbie

littlewaywelt - can you tell me how you are doing that (synching to both?) I am part of a large exchange server at work that I am unable to do any modification to but would like to keep my personal calendar in iCal and sync both so I can see all contacts.
    thanks!

9. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

It was actually very simple. I have a mobile me accnt. That was easy enough to setup on the iphone. It syncs my iphone, mobile me web and mac (calendar, contacts, email).

I used the add exchange email function on the iphone. I entered my outlook web access info and selected what items I wanted to sync to the phone. That syncs my work contacts, calendar and email on the iphone and work pc/outlook. As I understand it, you have to have an exchange server 03 or later to make this happen, and run outlook 03 or later. Adding this syncing didn't even require my IT doing anything.

When I select calendar or contacts on the iPhone I can filter the views to show them individually or combine all. When I sync though, each is separate, meaning my mobile me info doesn't end up on my work pc calendar and my work pc outlook calendar doesn't end up on my mac. The only thing that can combine them is the iPhone.

Hope that helps.
    lww

ps for anyone trying to combine contacts and calendars but keep email separate with mobile me for spouse or other, I'm using the following workaround. I added my mobile me info to my wife's iphone, but selected to sync only bookmarks, calendar and contacts. This way we share that info, but keep separate emails. We have a family mobile me accnt. The only downside is that on mobile me web, she only sees her emails, not contacts or calendars unless I manually upload them.

10. jshah5115 macrumors newbie

Anyway to sync exchange contacts/cal to macbook?

I have a slightly different but related problem. I am syncing my contacts/calendar from my work exchange server to my iphone, but would also like to have them on my macbook (preferably not through entourage). Is there anyway to do this with or with/without the iphone?

Thanks!
    J

11. drawstring thread starter macrumors member

12. selice macrumors newbie

Well, MobileMe is exactly the one and only reason Apple is not allowing people to keep two and more Calendars on their iPhone. If that would be possible, MobileMe would loose one of the major pros what makes people to pay for it. But paying 60 quid a year for it is too much for me and many others.

Have somebody thought of a way through Jailbreaked iPhone? With some App maybe?

13. MSSG.COM macrumors newbie

Apple Iphone 4 and MS Exchange 2007 question

Ok, I'm getting more confused as I read the thread about synching Iphone and Exchange. Simply asked: Can you sync Iphone and Exchange - with or without mobile me, and how?

:cool: