2 clicks needed in Safari Top Sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joewillmott, Mar 17, 2013.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

Browsing away in Safari and I open a new tab to be greeted by the "Top sites" screen. I move my mouse over to the thumbnail of the site I want and click... but nothing bloody happens. That first click is just a "focus" click, then I have to click again. It really bloody annoys me.

Also until the first click you aren't "focused" so the hover-over glow doesn't show up. Bugs the crap out of me.

I understand how incredibly small an issue this is, but I cannot be the only one that hates this?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Erm, Topsites is just eyecandy and does not make Safari faster, the bookmark bar is much better and if you press Command-1 to 9 keys the bookmark corresponding to the above bookmark bar will open.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Try a different browser or don't use Top Sites.

4. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not talking about speed, I am not in a hurry. It's just annoying and extra effort that seems unnecessary.

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Hmm, not having this issue in Safari. New tab, hover over Top Sites, tab is highlighted with a blue border, click, no problem. Try doing an Internet search on "windows losing focus in OS X". Much of the time these focus issues are caused by a rogue application or process stealing window focus for no good reason. Perhaps it's an app or an add-on that is causing this?

6. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

Same here - hover gives blue border and first click takes me to the site. Safari 6.0.3

7. LV426 macrumors 6502a

It annoys me too, and I submitted a usability feedback to Apple.

It started off OK, but after some history has been built up, an "Edit" button appears at the bottom of the Top Sites screen. This causes everything to scroll up a notch (rMBP), and then requires a screen click to get focus. When the purpose of the screen is to provide the ability to do a quick site selection with minimal fuss, and the presence of an Edit button stops that from happening, it's a silly oversight.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All you have to do is go into Safari settings > General and choose what you want.

Attached Files:

9. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I have a 13" Air and do have the "Edit" button at the bottom but don't have the problem of needing the extra click. I'm wondering if it is to do with an rMBP issue; only other think I can think of that might be different is that I'm using the Medium setting on the page (4 across by 3 down).

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It only makes sense to me that the user must sometimes indicate what he/she wants to focus on, thus the "double" click.

11. Monkeyat macrumors regular

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing using Safari 6.0.5 and OS 10.8.5 (12F45).

Any solutions???