2 Comps Need to Utilize Same Cable/DSL Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cholub27, Mar 10, 2008.

1. cholub27 macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2008
    Massapequa, Long Island, NY
    Hi! Familiar with Macs in general but you will have to back up when discussing connections ...

Here's the situation:
    Cable/DSL coming into home for computer (G4 iMac/Comp#1)
    I'm moving in and need my computer (G4 Quicksilver/Comp#2) to be hooked up along these same lines.

Now ... I have already installed a Belkin wireless router to serve the needs of a G4 MacBook/Comp#3 & iBook/Comp#4 and this works like a charm.

Can someone help me out with instruction me on how to "split" the cable modem to include Comp#2? I was told I need a "switch" but upon looking that up was rather overwhelmed. Feel free to over explain or include links or specific product names you recommend. I would prefer to do this as easy as possible (without compromising security).

thanks, chris
  2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    You need to know some basic theory.

One does not "split" a DSL line. What happens is you build a local network (wired or wireless.) Then you use a "router" to connect the local network to the public Internet. A router has two interfaces on it and copies data between the two as required.

It sounds like you already have a local network and you need to make it bigger by adding one computer.
    If there is not place to plug in another cable then you can add a switch.