Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Si.

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2006
Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to use my iPod Nano on 2 different iTunes installations (one for me on my Mac, one for the Wife on her PC).

What I want to do it share the iPod between us, so I can plug it into mine and have my songs/Playlists then she can plug it into hers and have it load up her songs/Playlists.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Si. said:
Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to use my iPod Nano on 2 different iTunes installations (one for me on my Mac, one for the Wife on her PC).

What I want to do it share the iPod between us, so I can plug it into mine and have my songs/Playlists then she can plug it into hers and have it load up her songs/Playlists.

I dont think its possible without some major headaches. Macs use a different drive format than PCs so certain features will not be available on the comp that it is not formatted for. Plus some other stuff that Im not sure about. :D I wouldnt advise it.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The only way you'll be able to do it is via manual sync, i.e. no automatic music migration and manual loading of playlists, which does away with many of the nice features of iTunes.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Sesshi said:
The only way you'll be able to do it is via manual sync, i.e. no automatic music migration and manual loading of playlists, which does away with many of the nice features of iTunes.
Only unless I missed it, there is no manual sync in iTunes 7.:mad:

Angelece

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
On the main summary page of the ipod it says manually sync songs. That just means you have to drag and drop new songs onto the ipod. You will want to make sure you format the ipod to the windows machine first if it is not already formatted to it.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
Which computer is the iPod formatted on? If you formatted it on the PC there'll be no problem, you can listen to music on the iPod and add music to the iPod from either computer.

If you formatted it on the Mac the PC won't be able to read the HFS+ file system used on the iPod and you will need to buy a program called Xplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.