2 computers 1 time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rubi2sda, Jan 2, 2010.

1. rubi2sda macrumors newbie

A second macbook will be added to my time capsule. Does that mean that all of the information on mac 1 is accessible from mac 2 and vice versa, by going into timecapsule on either computer? I would like them to be kept separate as one has some confidential files on it that I don't available to anyone using the other- How does this work? thanks!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Each machine will only see it's own Time Machine backup information. IIRC, the actual files from each will be accessible from the other in Finder. This is the case regardless of the storage device if it's shared.

3. rubi2sda thread starter macrumors newbie

um...

wait- so is that a yes, all files are mutually accessible through either Finder, and there's no way to secure them if I'm sharing my time capsule? Sorry, I'm a little confused. thanks, though!

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The permissions on the Backups.backupdb directory are Read Only for Everyone, so yeah, anybody with access to that drive should be able to read anything in it (and all files/apps are able to be opened/copied). This seems to include the contents of each User directory as well. I have separate physical devices for both machines' TM backups, so I can't verify this absolutely, but I don't see where there's segregation by the Creator/Owner.

Entering Time Machine, however, should restrict each user to their own space.