2 computers - one set of discs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexpb86, Apr 15, 2010.

1. alexpb86 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have x2 10.4 intel core 2 duo macs on the same network. I've gone and lost one set of install discs so only have one set to do an erase and install on the one computer. If its not the discs that came with the computer, and in actual fact the set of discs for the other mac on the network, will it bugger it up? Will it think I'm using one copy of OSX for 2 computers which I'm assuming is not permitted under a standard license.

Also, how long would it take very approximately to do a x7 pass erase and install on a 2.16 GHz, 2GB ram intel core 2 duo with 112GB of its 250GB remaining? Are we talking hours, a day, 2 days? As you can see I have no clue about these things but need to do it this weekend!

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If those Macs are not the same models, the DVDs from one computer will not work with the other Mac, as those gray restore DVDs are machine specific-

MRoogle might have told you that.

If you erase the HDD with a 7-pass, it does not matter if there is used space and unused space, as it has to erase the entire HDD with 7 passes.

So assuming the HDD can write with 30MB/s constantly, then the 250GB (232GiB) will take 131 minutes per pass. Or 15 hours for the 7-pass.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The discs will work if they are identical models, otherwise they won't.

4. dashcs macrumors regular

If you have a retail copy of the os x.
    That works on any computer,just a thought if maybe you have a retail copy laying around

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Since the install disk question has been answered, let me ask one?

Why are you doing a 7-pass erase? It's overkill for most situations (not saying it is for you, but consider whether it is). If it's just to erase a drive to make sure someone can't get the data, just zeroing the drive is usually fine unless you're dealing with government data (as it'd take a professional to recover the data at that point). Just a thought that could save you some time.

jW