Resolved 2 computers (OSX+WIN7) using 1 ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by happycadaver, Sep 1, 2012.

1. happycadaver, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

happycadaver macrumors regular

happycadaver

I have a problem getting my ATV working with both my computers at the same time.

My setup:

iMac with 10.8, iTunes library, home sharing active, LAN

Windows 7 laptop, iTunes library, home sharing active, WLAN

ATV3, LAN/WLAN

Both computers and the ATV are using the same Apple ID, the iTunes libraries only have different names

On my ATV i can browse through all files on my iMac, but no files of the laptop are showing up. The ATV asks me from time to time which library to use, but it changes nothing. Only the iMac shared files can be seen and played.

The odd thing is, that the library of the laptop is shown as a share in iTunes of the iMac.

What am i doing wrong? I want to use both iTunes libraries with my ATV simultaneously. It would be ok, if i have to choose which library to use, based on which computer is online.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

ATV switches to WAN when the network cable is plugged in. Uses WiFi if it isn't plugged in. Not sure if this is the problem or not, but it could be. It could also be the bridging of the WiFi to LAN; try pinging the laptop from the iMac.

3. happycadaver thread starter macrumors regular

happycadaver

That cannot be the problem, since the iMac connection to ATV works with both WLAN and LAN.

4. happycadaver thread starter macrumors regular

happycadaver

Found the solution.

As always, it was to obvious to see in the first place.

Didn't know that, if AirPlay is turned on in the ATV options, any device that can only connect via WLAN won't be detected.

My iMac is compatible to AirPlay, so is my iPhone. The WIN7 laptop is not.

Turned AirPlay off and the library of the laptop is playable from the ATV via network.