Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senor360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
See my sig for my setup. I have had 2 occasions now, both during native version of WoW running that my machine just completely locks up. The first time was a few days ago, and after locking up it didn't do anything weird. Held the power button down to shut it off and back to normal afterwards.

The second time was last night, except this time, after it locked up I started to hear a high-pitched whining start up. :eek::eek: As the seconds went buy it was getting louder and louder. I imagine those were the fans revving up, first time hearing them if it was, so got concerned. I shut the machine off and back on.

Now, prior to this happening I had not done the latest Firmware update, but my graphics card was somehow updated already. Could that be a problem? Old firmware on iMac, and new firmware on graphics processor? I don't even know if the iMac has error log files the way a Windoze box does? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I should add.. the first time I believe I was next to the main mailbox in Ogrimmar, and the other scene I was running to/from something in Desolace.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Since you mentioned this happened during WoW did you check their Mac support forums?

I have a fully up to date iMac and have had no issues with crashes for a LONG time during WoW Play times. I have yet to install any new updates though, I stopped playing prior to the last patch.

Maybe something with the new software updates/new wow patches?

Your best bet for that info is directly with the wow mac support forum. Lots of moderator interaction there.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
See my sig for my setup. I have had 2 occasions now, both during native version of WoW running that my machine just completely locks up. The first time was a few days ago, and after locking up it didn't do anything weird. Held the power button down to shut it off and back to normal afterwards.

The second time was last night, except this time, after it locked up I started to hear a high-pitched whining start up. :eek::eek: As the seconds went buy it was getting louder and louder. I imagine those were the fans revving up, first time hearing them if it was, so got concerned. I shut the machine off and back on.

Now, prior to this happening I had not done the latest Firmware update, but my graphics card was somehow updated already. Could that be a problem? Old firmware on iMac, and new firmware on graphics processor? I don't even know if the iMac has error log files the way a Windoze box does? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I should add.. the first time I believe I was next to the main mailbox in Ogrimmar, and the other scene I was running to/from something in Desolace.

Pick up a vacuum and try to remove all the dust from vents.
You might not see it but trust me it's there and usually a lot of it.
If your system locks up and fans go nuts it means that it's overheating.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The last patch with the new areas brought some more Wow freezes for Mac users.

If it happens during other periods worry, but the Mac user experience with WoW isn't bug free.

Sort of sucks that instead of the game freezing, it locks the machine up.

Look in the logs, I only played 2.4.x a week and a half and I had 10 hang/crash-reporter log entries 10 times the number of log entries as 2.3.x

---

If it happens outside WoW worry a bit more, otherwise it is not a pain free WoW experience -- but generally good enough to play, and get you killed every now and then when the machine locks up.

Senor360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Hmm..

The last patch with the new areas brought some more Wow freezes for Mac users.

If it happens during other periods worry, but the Mac user experience with WoW isn't bug free.

Sort of sucks that instead of the game freezing, it locks the machine up.

Look in the logs, I only played 2.4.x a week and a half and I had 10 hang/crash-reporter log entries 10 times the number of log entries as 2.3.x

---

If it happens outside WoW worry a bit more, otherwise it is not a pain free WoW experience -- but generally good enough to play, and get you killed every now and then when the machine locks up.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.. I shall hit up their boards and see whats what.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
If your running addons those seem to be big culprits in lock/freezes. Make sure any addons are compatible with the current version.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
If your system locks up and fans go nuts it means that it's overheating.

Not necessarily. The fans rev up any time the system software freezes. This is for protection since the OS is no longer able to control the fans and thus keep the hardware cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.