2 data plans on 1 ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by rujoesmith, Dec 26, 2010.

1. rujoesmith macrumors newbie

Can i activate a second sim card in my ipad and have 2 different plans (1 for my iphone 1 for my ipad) without any problems?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, very possible, but why would you want to do that? if you want a "data only" Plan on that SIM on another device it won't work, AT&T is tracking iPad IMEI now, so as soon as you put that SIM on any other device they will contact you and add the "right" plan for that device.

3. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Not true

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't know why, I am not part of AT&T board they don't inform me about what they take any dessisions :D:D:D

All I know is that they are cracking down on those cases, and now they had the system do it automatically, so work around that.

You don't have to believe me, a quick search on the forums will give you several thread about people getting communications from AT&T because of this, also some people got their service block until they call AT&T.

Google can also give you several places with people having this issue.

Ultimately you can just try it and report back, a SIM cost almost nothing and activating it take just a few minutes

5. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

No thread will do that. It isn't about believing you or not, it is about the facts, and the facts are quite simple. You seem to be misinformed. So here at the facts that any other thread or google source, if it is well informed, will reveal to you.

ATT will contact you if you try to use an iphone data plan on an ipad. ATT will also prevent people from activating their ipad data plans with non-ipad devices. ATT will also cancel any ipad plan that was activated without an ipad. However, and this is the important point, if you have activated your ipad data plan with a real ipad, and then inserted the SIM into another device, ATT has not yet contacted or canceled any such plan. Plenty of us have pursued this option, and who have had it working for many months now, have yet to be contacted and have yet to have their plans affected in any way whatsoever. Will ATT do anything about this last option? Who knows, it might be hard for them to since the plan is prepaid and the SIM can always be re-inserted into an ipad. But whatever the lies in the store of the future is irrelevant to the current facts.

So, to repeat, if you activate your ipad data plan with an ipad and then place in it another device changing the APN to Broadband, that plan will work and will auto-renew until some new development transpires.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Totally not true, that those are NOT facts, but the OP have been informed so he/She can decide what to do. as i said before plenty of people have gotten their service blocked and suspended for such a practice.

7. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Prove it. Link to examples or it didn't happen.

8. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Very timely thread...because today, I got an iphone4 to use as a Internet camera...or more specifically, to be more portable and tether off my iPad with 3G.

Anyway, I was very disappointed to learn that I can't use the face time unless I have an active sim. The phone didn't even come with a sim at all, let alone do I have an active one. I do have an older sim card from another iPhone I can try. It says AT&T 3G on it, but is the larger size. But, even if I cut it down apparently, it has to be on for it to work.

So, being the tinkerer that I am, I pulled the iPad sim out and tried it in the iPhone. Trying to initiate a face time call, I got the error message that account I was using was not capable of making a call or something.

So, I quickly pulled the card and put it back in iPad. It seemed to come back up ok, although later I discovered I had to restart to activate mifi...which was pretty uncool.

SOOOOOO....what is gong on what will really happen? Will I risk loosing my unlimited plan on my iPad? Or will I get a warning? Why didn't it work? Would the data portion on the ip4 have worked? Did I need to do something different?

Thanks!!

9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

you asked why it did not work in the iphone. Did you change the Apn on your iphone or did you simply put the ipad sim in?

10. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I just put the sim.

So, what is the verdict on what will ATT do? Lots of back and forth here with some strong opinions.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

11. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Just putting in the sim won't work. You need to edit the apn by changing the carrier profile. As for th future... Who knows, it is the future after all. For now though, as I pointed out, ATT is not doing anything to ipad plans activated by ipads.

12. lokerd, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Thanks John.

Sorry to be a NOOB on this. But what will I gain by taking the sim out of my iPad and putting in my iPhone? Just 3g data? Or phone also?

If when the iOS 4.2.1 goes Untethered JB...and I JB the iPhone to install a tether. Will I ever really want to put the Sim back in the iPad. I currently have MiFi installed on my JBed iPad. But, it makes more since to switch...so, if I am out an about, and want to leave the ipad behind, I am still taking my mobile internet connection with me. Right now, I have to take the iPad with me to get the wifi. So, basically, if I switch the sim to the iPhone, it would make a lot more sense as essentially a mobile computer with hotspot capability for when I am more stationary and want to use my ipad out and about.

One last question...I don't suppose there is a awy to make the iPhone on 4.2.1 give a wifi signal with out JBing it?

EDIT: Ok, I found this link: http://hijinksinc.com/2010/07/08/activating-an-ipad-3g-micro-sim-without-an-ipad/

But I am unclear on where I need to start since I already have an activated SIM with my iPad. Also, I was unclear on what would happen when I put the SIM back in my iPad. Will it work, or will I have to run some sort of APN switcher again on the iPad?

EDIT #2: Ok, I have cut down on older sim and got in the iPhone...and it works, except that it says it needs to be provisioned. I am not sure of the history of the sim I just cut down. I think it came from an iPhone 2g (original) that I bought off ebay to serve as an iPod w/Camera. So, anyway, can this sim be set for use with out setting up a plan, specifically for Face Time use?

Thanks a bundle for your help!!!!!

13. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Yes you only gain data, but you can gain partial phone services by using VOIP options to get those phone services free, like using google voice and some other option. I use gizmo, but you can no longer register with it, but I hear there are alternatives. Maybe sipgate? I'm not sure. I can't direct you to free voip providers.

You probably will never want to put the sim back into the ipad since your thought is exactly the appeal of putting the ipad sim in the iphone, and if the VOIP phone is good enough for you (no registered 911 services; they can't know your location; though apparently all cell phones, whether active and with sims or not, can contact 911), then it is much cheaper all around too since you are only paying for data (that's what I'm doing).

Wifi without a JB is tough. I hear there was a program called handy light+ that did it and got pulled from the app store. If you could get a hold of its source code, and if you knew a developer who was nice enough to help you out, he could get it to work for you, but baring that, JB is the only way to go.

I'm not sure about that website. As I noted earlier, ATT cracked down on activating the ipad data plans without a real ipad. I'd therefore ignore that. Your best bet is to simply activate an ipad data plan on a real ipad. If you don't have one, borrow a friend's or go use one of the demos at the Apple store. That way you are sure not to encounter trouble with what ATT is doing to crack down on things being activated without real ipads.

The APN on the ipad is by default Broadband, so changing the APN on the iphone means you will not need to ever change it again on the ipad. However, if you change the APN on the iphone and then want to use another regular iphone sim, you need to change the APN back to what it was before (which is easy, all you do is delete the carrier profile that was added when you changed the APN on the iphone the first time to broadband). To change the APN yourself is easy using the iphone configuration utility, but if you want an even simpler option, just navigate to the unlockit website (google it), from your iphone, and you can get them to create a custom profile for you, where the only option you want is the carrier APN name to be broadband.

I don't know about that one.

14. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Ok. Well, for the time being, until JB on the ip4, I need to be able to move the sim back and forth.

I ran the apn switcher, but not with the ipad's SIM in the iPhone. I don't want to mess the SIM up for my iPad, which btw, is definitely activated on my official iPad...since Apiril, with the unlimited plan, so I don't want to mess it up, although I have yet to go anywhere near even 2gb.

So, when I put the iPad sim in, sill no dice. Do I need to run the APN switcher with the iPad sim in?

15. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

It doesn't matter if the SIM is in your iphone or not when you run the APN switcher. All that matters is that your iphone can access the web (in this case you need WIFI turned on to do it). Simply go to the unlockit webpage, choose continue, select custom APN, name the APN: Broadband and leave the username and passwords blank, then install. Once you put the sim in, everything will work just fine on 3G, which you can test by turning your WIFI off now. Swapping the SIM from one device to the other can now also be done without any further configurations needed. Note however, an iphone data plan will not work in the iphone or ipad until you change those APNs again, but that doesn't seem to be the concern here. If you encounter any difficulties let me know.

But as noted before, it'll work for now. Who knows what ATT will do in the future. So if they change things (could be tomorrow, could be in a year, could be never), you could risk losing your unlimited plan since you would technically be in breach of contract. For now though, they don't seem to care (or they don't seem to notice, or they can't do anything about it). If I had unlimited data plan I'd go ahead and cancel my home internet since I can pull out 4mbps down on 3G even when tethering using MyWi through my jailbreak. Unfortunately I'm limited to the 2gb plan so I still need a home internet connection.

By the way the jailbreak is out for iPhone 4, it's just a tethered jailbreak.

16. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Thanks for all the help. I will give it another try, although I did all of the above. In fact, it worked less well. Yesterday, with my ipads sim in I was able to do face time,even though I had not configured tbd apn ob the iPhone yet.

Maybe it wasn't seated correctly??

Hmmm. Interesting idea on the JB. I had been thinking HECK NO... Ut that was because my iPad is on 3.2, and I think I mint just die if I had to restore it to blank. I have a bunch of hacks on it that could all go wrong, including sbsetting, categories, sbcategories, vmem, infinidock, tap to unlock. I can't stand that apple dumbed down the dock and converted the switch (I use both all the time).

But, this new iPhone is already on 4.2.1 (I was expecting it to be on 4.0.1), so, what the heck...I will give it a try and just keep it simple with just mifi.

Good idea!