2 day old iPhone 4 w/ dust under screen, too picky?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Jul 4, 2010.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I just noticed I have dust or a dead pixel. Not sure how to tell which. I would feel bad returning it...like I was being too picky. But damn, I paid money for this and I notice it constantly! (I've had the phone 2 days!) The speck is really small, but I worry that since there is one there could be more later.

If I bought at Best Buy do I still bring it to Apple? Best Buy charges a restocking fee for returned phones.

What's the reasonable thing to do here?

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

maybe there is a speck of dirt in your eye?

return it and get a new one

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not happy, return it. you paid for it so may as well live up for your expectations

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Get it replaced by Apple. For $600, it should be PERFECT.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Dust is one of those things where it bugs me more than anything. I always got my 3G glass replaced.

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

pet peeve. my Macbook Pro had dust behind the screen. so i was able to exchange it. My 3G had tons of dust behind the screen the first week of use and I exchanged it. Today it has dust behind the screen so... guess it just happens.

7. iTouch macrumors 6502

Most likely if you complain to Apple they will replace it. Others have complained with previous gen iPhones and had them replaced.

8. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Hmm, I assumed this would happen less or be impossible on the iPhone 4 because the LCD panel is glued to the glass and digitizer.

9. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

This is the first iPhone I've bought that actually has NO dust under the screen! and I've had it for almost 2 weeks and still nothing. VERY pleased with this phone, VERY :D

10. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I made an appointment with the Apple store in Miami Beach for Friday. We'll see. I really don't want to be unreasonable, but I don't feel it should have dust or a dead pixel out of the box.

11. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

You are right. Back a while ago I bought a second iMac G5 and it had 2 dead pixels. Apple wouldn't do nothing for me. Said it is acceptable. I tried to fight it. Nothing. They gave me a $150 gift card and a Cannon printer. 2 dead pixels the first time powering up. Bah. One was in the corner while the other one was dead center.

My 3G on the other hand they took it right back when i showed them the dust under the screen and they gave me a new box (sealed) and let me activate it.

My new MacBook Pro which I spent a pretty penny for had dust particles behind the screen. Only way for them to show up was to shine a flashlight at the screen. They didn't want to take it back but after talking to the store mgr she said fine and went in the back and got me a new one in the box.

Depends I guess. But I bet they exchange it for you. I hope.

12. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I'm with everyone else ... you paid a lot of money for it, so if you have dust and it bothers you (as it would me), exchange it.

If Apple won't help you with it (which they should), take it back to Best Buy. If they have none in stock to exchange it for (which would bypass the restocking fee), then ask if you can return it and get store credit since you intend to buy a new one from them ASAP. That way they know they'll be getting your money in the end, and they should be willing to waive the restocking fee. For most things I think you have 14 days to return it, so just make sure you're within that and make it clear that they will have your money in the end, and you should be able to get around the restocking fee.

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

It's most likely a dead pixel. Just get a magnifying glass and look at it.

Unlike earlier iPhones, the iPhone 4's display is laminated to the cover glass. Unless the display has delaminated (which should be pretty darn obvious/ugly), there's absolutely no way for dust to get there (well, dust could get there during the lamination process, but that would be a manufacturing defect, IMO).

14. juicexct macrumors member

i have a small black speck in the top left corner. it came with the phone. i know its dust, b/c when the phone is powered off you can still see it, and if it was a dead pixel, it wouldnt be visible with the screen off. everything else works perfectly fine so i'm keeping this phone.

15. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'd get it serviced, they'll most likely just replace the display which will only take a few minutes (provided the process is identical to that of the 3G and 3GS).

16. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

After more research it seems like a dead pixel. I can't see the spot with the screen turned off.

17. myztikal47 macrumors regular