2 day old Macbook Pro stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TJaames, May 4, 2010.

1. TJaames macrumors member

So I received a 17" MBP for graduation this past weekend. I was playing with it for a couple hours then put it to sleep and went to bed. The next day I opened it up to go on the internet and it was frozen. I tried to follow all the steps but eventually just shut down the system and rebooted. When I rebooted, the laptop stayed at the loading screen with the clock-like loading message for over 5 hours. After searching through the book I attempted to reload the OS disk, but this seemed to make matters worse. After it finished, the system just shut down. Now everytime I turn the system on, it loads for 30 seconds on the load screen with the clock-like thing and an empty load bar and then shuts down.

I called Apple and am sending it via fedex tonight (hopefully) but I was just wondering if anybody knew the reasons for this error and if it will be covered under Applecare.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not enough info to tell what it might be, but it'll almost certainly be covered by Applecare.

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

4. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

I hope so!

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Unless they find evidence that you drop kicked it across the room last night, you should be fine!

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Why are you sending it back to Apple first?

Won't they send you out a replacement first seen as though it is only 2 days old.

I have just had mine replaced which was a week old and they sent me a new MBP out first then sent a courier to pick the broken one up.

7. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

I believe they are going to try to repair it first.
    They asked me to go to the nearest apple store, but that's about an hour and a half away.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Just tell them you want a new one since you don't exactly trust this one anymore.

Who's to say it wont happen again in another 2 days?

9. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

Maybe. It had everything installed and everything on it though.

10. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

usually you have 14 days to send it back to apple (if its bought at their online-store), also for no reason. it's nescessary to call apple within this 14 days and get a return n° !

if the credit-card has enough power, apple sends you a replacement (new) and confirms a pickup from tnt/fedex/ups to get the first item (mpb) back.

this is 100% sure !

11. PAC88 macrumors 6502

yea.. that would suck to have it repaired if it's only 2 days old.. you should definitely have the whole thing replaced with a new one.

12. fuzzylemurs macrumors member

It sounds to me the likely culprit is a bad/failed hard drive. If that is the case, it having all your apps and data is moot. I would get a replacement system IMO.

13. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

So you guys think I should call back today and ask them to just send me a replacement?

14. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

lol wut? haha

15. Inside_line macrumors regular

16. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

17. vasuba macrumors member

Without a doubt you should demand a new system. You do not want a system that survived 2 days only back even if they fix whatever happened. If the system was that shoddy to die that fast you want a new system

18. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

I told them I wanted a new system, not one that failed after two days, and they said it was bought April 15th, to which I responded "Ohh so they are supposed to fail in two weeks, not two days?" Then he said he would keep a note and they would look everything over once I send it in.

19. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

someone sugested that it just might be a faulty hard drive, have you tried putting one in?

20. kingtj macrumors 68020

Not necessarily ....

If something like a hard drive failed, that means absolutely *nothing* about the rest of the system. Everything else could be just fine. No matter WHAT electronics you're talking about, the industry standard allows for about a 1% to 2% failure rate. That means that yes, 1 or 2 out of every 100 notebook computers (or anything else) they sell winds up arriving dead or malfunctioning -- and nobody has really been able to change that fact. (Computers and consumer electronics are just too complex. One little capacitor on a circuit board or one IC chip could be a "dud" and that makes the whole device "bad".)

Apple probably WILL just ship him a new machine once they take a look at what happened ... especially if it's a defective main board or something. But there's no need to worry if they swapped a bad hard drive and shipped the original computer right back either.

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Apple is kind of a pushover when it comes to things like this.... worse come to worse, if you really do want a new system but they are reluctant to give you one, you may have luck sending an email to apple customer relations or talking to someone face to face at an apple store. They really don't have much room to argue with you if your system failed after 2 days of use.