2 days over 14 day return policy - great news

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kryptonitejesus, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kryptonitejesus macrumors member

I called today to initiate a return knowing I was over the return policy, I figured, why NOT try... well turns out the guy I talked on the phone with was able to convince his manager to let me get that return, but after talking :apple: with him for a little bit we got to talking about the new MBP and I told him I planned on buying the new 2011 i7 MBP, and he hooked me up with an even exchange for my 2010 i7 for the new 2011 i7....

SO anyone else who might have just bought a MBP maybe you are in luck! you won't know till you try and I can't WAIT till my new toy is here!

My only concern is the laptop I have now has the BTO upgrade for hi-res display... do you think they'll send me out one with the hi-res display also?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why don't you look at your email and/or call Apple and see what's been ordered? I don't think anyone's crystal ball can tell you what he ordered for you.

3. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Uhhhh that would be a great idea had I gotten an email telling me what I was recieving, I just got the generic return/exchange policy email telling me what to do and when they will ship out my new laptop.

Regardless, I've already called apple back and they ensured me it will be the hi-res glossy screen, so your snide remarks were pretty much useless.

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Relax. All he was saying is that there was an easy way to answer your question, which is what you did by calling.

BTW, they ASSURED you of the high res screen, not ensured. ;)

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

they LET you return one, you should be happy with just that!

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

He is happy with that. In fact he is so happy with Apple's customer service that he is informing other recent MBP buyers about his experience.

This is what internet forums are for.

7. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

I was happy with just that, happiness turned into me being incredibly happy when he told me he can just cut the middle part out by letting me exchange it.

Would love to say Apple just won me over as a customer for life, but... they already did prior to this.... so I just wanted to share the good news for anyone else who was debating calling, you never know!!

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

hey you guys are preaching to the choir. Apple just replaced my early 08' w/ a top of the line 15" i7 yesterday. I had the matte screen on my old one :)

9. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Happened to me today too. I think they do it for customer loyalty. That is important to them because each and every one of us is a "seed". I'm glad they hooked us up.. We all know the Genius bar can get crowded BUT they do a good job of keeping us happy, as long as its reasonable.

I haven't experienced customer service so simple and easy with any other company than Apple... So far.

10. SyncFx macrumors member

I just recieved my 2010 MBP on Thursday, it was ordered on the 17th and I'm still within the 14 days, so I'm sure I can get the 2011 no problem, so wondering how I should go about what files I already have on there, just delete them somehow?

Also, will they exchange or the same stuff? I got the 2011 upped to 2.66GHz Dual core i7 instead of whatever it was before, will they exchange for the same upped version of the 2011?

11. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

You have 30 days from your purchase date to exchange it for the similar model in the event of a product refresh. Just take it to the Apple Store (or call if you ordered online) and arrange for the 2011 model. I think it's worth the effort.

12. Lancivo macrumors newbie

I can't find anything more than the 14 day return policy, can I please have a link to somewhere where it lists the 30 days in case of a refresh? Had my 15" for about three weeks.

13. haruhiko, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Apple Store (Hong Kong Online Store) does not allow me to return my MBP 15" 2010 delivered on 7th February :-( I guess they offer much superior service in the United States. :(

The CS Rep insisted on the phone that there is certainly no extension to the 14-day return policy. Apple would not receive the returned goods because of this. He asked his manager and his manager answered with a definite "no".

I feel a bit upset as he originally answered "yes" provided that I need to order a new model from them first, and then they can arrange a return of my MBP. :-( But he returned to the call with the bad news.

I guess Chinese culture is not really as nice as that of the States.

14. mhossan macrumors newbie

got an exchange of MBP 5 days over the 14 day return policy

apple store aberdeen gave me the opportunity to swap 5 days over the return date of my MBP 13inch 2010. thank you apple.

When i first knew the new release i went there to ask whether i can get an exchange but the lady i spoke to said "no" and added some folks already asked but we didnt allow. then i asked whether i can speak to the manager, she replied manger is not available since it was saturday.

for another try,
    i came out and phoned the store to speak to the manager. this time another lady answered but wasnt the manager so i made the request to her.
    she replied, yes certainly we can do that for you.
    i then repeated that my return date was 4 days ago, she still confirmed that i still can get an exchange if item is in good condition with the manager discreation.
    so i went next day and told about this conversation to a sales assistence who then got permission from his manager and gave me an exchange.

i certainly will not hesitate to spent more money with apple but they should have given me the opportunity at the first time.

however my new 2011 generates more heat than the 2010 v. the 2010v was totally cool with the heat. the work i do, performance wise i dont get any difference to be honest with you.

15. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

An update guys, well apparently the first guy I talked to on the phone at :apple: had no idea what he was talking about as I had heard from the next 3 people I spoke to... apparently they are not allowed to by any means exchange the MBP for the newer model, the day I sent my laptop out they were processing a shipment back of the same exact laptop I had just sent out to them, the 2010 i7 hires, I called them and asked them why I was getting the 2.66 i7 instead of the 2011 one and they said the first guy was a moron and they can't do that (this is honestly what he said), he told me the best he could do was push me a refund and I'd have to wait patiently like a sheep.... all the while I was mentioning how I have 3 DJ gigs this weekend (thursday, friday and one sunday) and yeah, well now it's Thursday still no refund is in my account and I'm left without a laptop, and I'm increasingly being frustrated.

Had :apple: told me they couldn't exchange the laptop out without me having to return it and re-order it through a refund then I would have waited the maximum amount of time I had to send it back, however they didn't, now I'm pretty much screwed.

Hope everyone else had much better luck with their returns/exchanges (if they were allowed to get them)

16. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Crappy. But I gotta say when you openEd the thread something didn't seem right. They don't just swap like that. I doubt your refund will take Long to process. Apple is usually pretty efficient.

17. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Well on apples end the refund was sent to my bank the 1st, however upon calling the bank just to get a feel for how long the refunds took to process once received they told me something along the lines of 5 days :( I was planning on making the trip up to ann arbor apple store to pick up a 15"er today actually since I'm off work and can't wait for anything to ship to my house... but now I'm kinda stuck without one at all

18. skiltrip macrumors 68030

What about the iMac in your signature?

19. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Im DJing downtown Toledo for rapper Lil Wyte, I don't really want to take my 27" iMac out to a club/bar for a rap show... just personal preference. lol

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Fair enough. Though that would be pretty badass, walking in with a 27 incher under your arm. ;)

21. sydenham macrumors regular

I think he should just return it and get an ipad 2 like this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1_r_61sk8

22. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Ok so here we are 5 business days later (since Apple pushed the refund into my account) and still no money.... :mad: The bank is saying they don't see anything from :apple: and :apple: is saying they most definitely pushed the money through March 1st!!

GRRR what do I do other than patiently wait with my thumb up my bum waiting for my $2301.01 or however much exactly it was?

23. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Definitely weird. My last return to Apple was my 27" iMac and after receiving the iMac I had my credit card credited two days later.