2 display Mac Pro help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soura2112, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

My first post with my new Mac Pro, so far I love it!
    Anyway, I plan on buying the Apple display in the next few months, see how money goes. Currently I am using my old 20" aluminum body display from my G5, so far no problems. Now I am curious once I get the new Display how do you connect the new(29" Apple Display) and old ( 20" Apple Display, non HD, which also may cause problems). Being a FC user I always wanted 2 displays just never had the money, now with getting a new one I hope to use my old one too. May not look as cool as 2 29" displays but I can't afford 2 new displays.
    Mainly would I have any problems doing this? Plus would having one non HD display create problems? I figure it would if editing in HD, but if I made the 29" the main display then I could run all HD on the 29", of course that's only my guess.
    Right now the 20" display just can't connect the 400 FireWire, which I could get an adapter, later.
    I have never used nor looked at the new Apple Mac Pro Display hook up at the Apple store since it came out. If 2 displays would cause problems then I would rather stick with one very nice display. I was worried about the new Display not having FireWire, and I still think it should, except the Mac Pro has plenty of FireWire ports, plus I have mutli firewire cable (not the exact name)
    Thanks for any info! Appreciate it like always.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

The new apple displays are 27", not 29".

They should be fine. You say new mac pro, so I am assuming new from apple and not new to you, so the graphics cards should have a MDP out. Just use that to the new 27" and use DVI to the older 20".

Shouldn't have any problems.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

there won't be any issues. just plug them in. the new Mac Pros come with a 5770, which has two mini DisplayPort and a DVI port. resolution and such is customized in System Prefs.