2 Displays on MacBook - Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lovinthemac, Apr 1, 2008.

1. lovinthemac macrumors newbie

I know this has been discussed a lot here already, but I couldn't find an exact answer to my question...so please help!

I bought a MacBook last December and I love it.:apple::) I run an external display 95% of the time, and I would really like to add a 2nd display to get more screen real estate - but I understand the the regular MacBook is not as good as the MacBook Pro for running multiple displays.

My question: what adapter/tool/etc.. is the best to use for me to run 2 displays on my MacBook? Is it possible? I'm thinking of getting two 22" displays, if possible...

:)

2. lovinthemac thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm still at a loss on this one - any suggestions? pretty please? ;)

3. alexjdb macrumors member

4. Romulus macrumors regular

The problem is that even with that setup you are limited by the maximum resolution put out by the compture - specifically 1920x1200 total... meaning you would have to use something like 960x1200 on each screen, which is not the best resolution on a 22" so for the better or worse that is not really an option with a macbook...

With a macbok pro you are putting out 2560x1600 total, meaning 1280x1600 screens, which is more acceptable, but you'd probably want to run the screen vertical versus the typical horizontal side by side setup...

Good luck!

5. lovinthemac thread starter macrumors newbie

okay thanks everyone! based on what i've read here and researched on my own... i think i would be better off buying one big 24" screen that runs at 1920x1200. i found a pretty decent 24" display for under 400 bucks. anyone agree with my idea? i'm on a single 19" right now and it is not big enough...

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, that's the better bet. Running dual monitors would just give you poor quality and I don't think that the integrated graphics would deal with it too well. But 400 for a 24" is pretty good, I say go for it. You could also sell the 19" to offset the price a bit if you want.

7. lovinthemac thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i think i'm leaning that way. thanks for the advice. :)

i won't post the link here (not sure what the rules on that are) but the display i found is a Sceptre x24wg-Naga 24" Widescreen LCD and is $329 right now at TigerDirect. they often have great deals on displays - i've bought two from them so far. :)