2 download files... which one is real?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I was downloading a linux file for a friend via torrents and whilst it was downloading I moved the downloading file into a different file...

Now I have gone back to the computer I have two files one in the folder I had moved it too and one in the original place before I moved it!

Which is the real one that I can open because I dont want to corrupt the system by trying to install the wrong one...

In "get info" they are both the same size?

Any way to check that on is 'fuller' than the other???

Thanks!

2. McGiord, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

In the Get Info window, check the permissions/access privileges and see if they are different also, if you copy the file to an external HDD those may change.
    ________
    BMW Sauber F1.06 specifications

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If the file you downloaded had a MD5 or other checksum you could use to verify its integrity, now's the time to do that. If not, there really isn't a way I can think of to tell - and generally, it's a bad idea to attempt to move a file that is in the process of downloading.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok, can you tell me how to do this? I am familiar with the term MD5 but am unaware as how to check it?

Do you reckon either of the files will work?

Thanks!

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Typically, you retrieve the MD5 checksum for the file from the download site (if one exists), run the md5 command in the Terminal on the file in question, and compare the two checksums. If they are equal, you've found a good file.

Type the following command, and press Return to execute it:
    Code:
    md5 (drag the file to the Terminal window)
    Where it says (drag the file to the Terminal window), do exactly that. Make sure there's a space between the md5 and the filename.