Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

Just wondering: can every Mac Mini without optical drive hold 2 internal hard drives? Or is it just the "Server" models?

Thank you!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Every Mac Mini can. It is currently unknown about the 2014 Mac Mini, but I would guess no for that model.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
You'll need the proper mounting kit/cable for the 2011 mini.

Mac mini 2014 was referred to as being PCIe based Flash in the Keynote, so probably just one SATA drive.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Just so I understand this properly: Do all the 2012 MacMinis have the mounting kit/cable built-in, even the single HDD ones?

No, Mac Mini's only contain enough cables and such for the drives that are in them. Meaning; if there is only one hard drive in them, they do not have a spare cable for the second drive.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
No, Mac Mini's only contain enough cables and such for the drives that are in them. Meaning; if there is only one hard drive in them, they do not have a spare cable for the second drive.

OK, so I've found this hard drive kit:
http://www.amazon.com/iFixit-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive/dp/B00BJ8U3OU

I know the Mac Minis have temperature sensors on both drives – but the above kit is missing that sensor, right?
All I know is that if a sensor gets damaged during HD replacement, the fans spin up during normal operation. Is the temperature sensor on the second drive mandatory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.