2 DVD's stuck in drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caviareater, Oct 21, 2010.

1. caviareater macrumors newbie

Hi,

So a DVD was stuck in my DVD drive and I could not get it out. At the time I was hyped up on vicodin and cough syrup (yes... I was sick) and thought that the correct solution would be to attempt to put ANOTHER DVD in. It slid in with a little resistance. Now I have two DVDs stuck in my computer and NO IDEA how to get them out. Suggestions? I've tried the boot up - force eject to no avail. Should I just take my Macbook to the Mac Store?

Thanks,

Ist:apple:

2. james90755 macrumors member

Some type of pliers or superglue on the end of a stick...

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

It is not that hard to disassemble the drive and then retrieve it. Putting it back together is slightly tricky, but still doable.

Of course, if you are noob at taking things apart and putting them back together, it would be a triple idiot move.

Then you are better off taking it to the apple store.

4. caviareater thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a noob indeed.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Take it to the Apple Store and pay a genius to do it. NO to the pliers and super glue strategy.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pop another vicodin and swig some more cough syrup. I bet you come up with some great ideas.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

You can browse the fix it guides to see if you want to disassemble the drive yourself. I don't know if it will void your warranty/Applecare or not (if applicable).

Lay off the vikes now, ya hear?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Most, if not all, current Macs have a sticker over one of the screws on the optical drive warning that you will void your warranty if you open it (whether that voids the drive's warranty only or the entire computer is up for grabs). I wouldn't recommend it for a machine still under warranty.

jW

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Don't ever try sticking something into your optical drive if a disc is stuck. More likely that not you'll just cause more damage. It's easier to just take it into an Apple Store instead.