2 external hard drives to back up iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slunky, Jan 25, 2010.

1. slunky macrumors newbie

I have a 320Gb and 750Gb external hard drive and my iTunes library is on the 320Gb. It's getting very full. I've copied everything from the 320Gb to the 750Gb. I just want to put away the 320Gb drive for safe keeping and use the 750Gb drive as my every day unit. iTunes on my iMac comes up with exclamation marks for the new library. Is it just a matter of pointing iTunes to the new library? Have I created an monster? We're talkin' about 300 gigs of tunes here.

2. GilesM macrumors 6502

You need to tell iTunes to use the new library.
    To do this, hold down the 'option' key when starting iTunes.
    You will then be given the choice to "quit, Create Library or Choose Library" Select "Choose Library" and navigate to the new library.

iTunes will use this library until you yell it otherwise. Of course you will need to ensure that the disc holding your new library is 'available' (mounted) at the time.

3. sandncity macrumors newbie

playlists

Thanks for the info. I did this.

Now, my playlists are gone.
    Also, my ipod playlists are not being recognized; hence, itunes wants to “restore” my ipod and I will lose my playlists there as well.

Help. :eek:

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

The proper way of moving an iTunes library without issue is to point iTunes to a fresh, new folder on your new HDD and then have iTunes move all the associated files....or you get situations like you are experiencing. If you can move your iTunes media back to where it was and then re-point the library to its original location, you will likely have all of your playlists and everything back to normal.

To properly move your library, follow these easy steps:
    from http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4912

"In a nutshell, the proper way to move your iTunes library is to change the iTunes Music folder path in Preferences > Advanced, then select: File > Library > Organize Library (”Consolidate Library” in iTunes 8).

In iTunes 9 you’ll see a new dialog box:

Clicking Upgrade to iTunes Media organization organizes your iTunes Music folder into subfolders for Audiobooks, iPod Games, Mobile Apps, Movies, TV Shows, Music, Ringtones, Voice Memos, etc.

Mac OS X Hints notes that once you’ve checked Upgrade to iTunes Media organization you won’t have to do it again (the option will be grayed out) and that it may cause your next music backup (via Time Machine or other backup app) to potentially take a long time, especially if you have a large iTunes collection."

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The better way to move a library is to let iTunes do the work for you. As mstrze points out in the post above mine.

Here is a link to Apple's guide...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Strangely enough, moving first, then pointing iTunes to the library has worked for some people, but when I had done that, I had major issues with iTunes not being able to locate files and the like.

Follow the suggesting procedure and you will have no problems...assuming you can pull your library back over and return your folder to pre-move conditions.

7. slunky thread starter macrumors newbie

OK...back to my situation. I have already moved and am using the iTunes library on an external hard drive. I have now copied this library to another hard drive. Can I do this and then just point the iMac to this second external hard drive? Or, do I have to do something fancy? (ie: cosolidate again,etc.,) If I just go to the second hard drive it can't find the songs but WILL locate them when prompted on this second hard drive.

8. GilesM macrumors 6502

Hello,

the procedure I described worked just fine for me. All playlists, artwork, movies, podcasts etc everything moved over just fine.

Not really sure why it did not work for you...

9. slunky thread starter macrumors newbie

GilesM...thanks for the replies. When I got to the point of the second drive iTunes library songs not being found unless prompted to, I stopped. I didn't want to go further until I knew for sure what I needed to do. I know the library is there. I just don't want to have hassles switching between the two external drives if I ever have to, (ie: the second drive dies and I have to go back to the first one) Just need some confirmation that just copying a library is sufficient.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On a mac, all you have to do is make sure the new drive has the same name and you put the folder in the same location on the new drive. Been doing this for years.