2 External Monitors 13 rMBP 15 Iris Pro only MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrsavage1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

I was wondering when you have 2 external monitors on intel integrated video cards, do the fans rev up ?

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

what size/resolution displays?

i doubt it unless the displays have resolutions that add up to a lot higher than the built in one

in other words if it can run a 2560x1440 screen it can run 2 non retina displays using the same effort

3. mrsavage1 thread starter macrumors regular

When i run with my 2012 mbp 15 on 2560 x 1440 the fans rev up. Although thats because dGPU always kicks in with external. I was just wondering if this is the same for the Iris Pro

4. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

there are multiple threads about this already make a search, two 2560 external + internal work fine on the 15" iris only...

5. mrsavage1 thread starter macrumors regular

Could you give me a link to one of them I've been trying to find it.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have a 13" rmbp with hd4000 driving 2 x 1920x1080 externals and temps are around 45c and fans 2100 rpm.

7. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

the conversations about it are not in threads with associated titles so you'll just have to make a search, however the apple website does confirm it:

http://store.apple.com/au/buy-mac/macbook-pro

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors"

8. -Geoff- macrumors newbie

I don't think the supplied Apple link answers the OPs question, which I am interested in too. And I am sure the OP knows that he can plug in 2 monitors. So I will rephrase it to try and avoid any doubt,

The question is directed at anyone who actually has a new rMBP with only Integrated Graphics and has connected 2 external monitors to it.

Have they experienced the internal fans automatically ramping up regardless of workload, which is what happens in the units with the 750M and makes the laptops suddenly noisy.

I'd personally like to hear from people who use one monitor too, as this will also be informative.

It is a real trade off question and the answer will affect my (and perhaps the OPs) decision as to which model to get. I don't need a discrete GPU but would have it "for free" in my preferred configuration for resale value. However if it is too noisy then I would take the lower spec model without the 750M to avoid the noise.

Thanks in advance :)

9. RobboMB macrumors newbie

I can't answer the 2 monitor question as i've not got a thunderbolt adapter, but certainly with pushing 1 extra monitor over HDMI @ 1080p, the 13" handled it fine without any hassle. I used mine last night for 7 hours running various tasks with the monitor from my PC attached showing a few movies while i was working. Fans worked as normal really, they only revved up when i was thrashing the processor, with there being no discrete GPU they don't automatically kick in when you plug a monitor in, not to any level where i can hear them anyway.

Only down side is if you're a peasant like me and using an old external display, the difference in quality between that and the laptop panel is a bit of an eye opener!

10. wolfboy macrumors regular

That's weird, I don't hear the fan revving up when I'm connected to a monitor on mine.

I have the rMBP with the 750M, run it in 1680x1050 scaled + an external 1920x1200 monitor and it's pretty much always silent. In fact, I've only heard the fan rev up once ever since I've had it and I work with Adobe stuff all day.

11. mrsavage1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i think you have misunderstood the threads question. Geoff has it right

12. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

oh, yeah he was asking about the fans, sorry i've only done a quick test so i'm not sure

13. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

just fyi for anyone who stumbles here:

the iris pro (all 4th gen intel mobile cpus actually) is capable of these configs simultaneously

eDP 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz
    DP 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz
    HDMI 4096x2304 @ 24 Hz OR 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz

OR

eDP 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz
    DP 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz
    DP 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz

but whether apple restricts this, or if it throttles due to heat or something, idk. im sure someone will test dual 4k eventually

source pg 36