2 Extra Sata II's on Mac Pro 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dannymarr, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dannymarr macrumors member

I was corresponding with an ebay seller about purchasing his old Mac Pro and he said something very odd. He said he put two hard drives in the second optical drive bay because there is 2 spare SATA II connections on the motherboard. Is this true?

So this sort of thing is possible without buying additional components like the Pro Caddy 2?

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2761&RequestTimeOut=500

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The optical drives are SATA, not SATA two. If you were to do without any internal optical drives, you could theoretically mount 4 SATA II drives and 2 SATA drives, but with the size of discs today, why would you need 6 drives?

Keep that extra optical for your future BluRay or for a 2nd optical drive that you can set to a different region of foreign DVDs.

3. myca macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get 2 drives in the 2nd optical bay, but it's true that there are 2 spare SATA ports in the mac pro, one company has brought out a nifty sata to esata extender cable that utilises this hidden gem.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/678

4. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in RAIDing ... I agree with you that if you wen't RAIDing you should just save it for blu-ray

5. Nadav35 macrumors member

Success burning 2 disks at the same time.

Hello,

My current Mac Pro is a 2008 3,1 with two IDE 22x(both are the same) superdrives running off the IDE BUS. My question:

If I were to replace one of those drives with a SATA drive using one of the ODD Ports, will my burning two disks at the same time speed up? Or is it better to just get rid of the two IDE drives I have and get two sata optical drives??

Also, has anyone attempted to boot into bootcamp using the ODD SATA ports via an OPTICAL DRIVE only?? I know with a HDD it won't work due to AHCI. I currently have AHCI recognized in windows 7. Also, will the SATA optical drives be recognized and work in VMWARE FUSION 3 and Paralells 5?