2 finger scrolling w/ trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Nov 17, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

One thing I've noticed w/ all the new MBPs is if you are in browser and doing *really slow* 2 finger scrolling there is some slight flicker on the screen. You can see it especially on the lines seperating the posts. When it you scroll fast its smooth. Perhaps this is related to how using the arrow key to scroll results in a bit of a jagged/step motion. Is this a notebook thing? specific to nVidia? Perhaps anyone on an Air or MB can varify if they notice this?

Using the arrow key on my iMac is very smooth so its not OS X imo. Might be firmware or a driver issue. The really slow 2 finger scrolling issue could possibly be Leopard if its common in all other notebooks...

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

With my MBP classic, I've got the two-finger scrolling enabled, and find that it's just slightly (very slightly) more 'jumpy' in Firefox than Safari. In Safari, it's perfectly smooth, almost weirdly smooth. But when hovering over scrollboxes while two-finger scrolling in any browser (and most apps,) or general page scrolling, it seems smooth and intuitive - much better than looking for the arrows.

In iTunes, in list view, the scroll "jump" is minimum of one line, but can be many lines in a quick scroll to top or bottom or horizontally with a few up or down, or side to side, "flicks."

I don't know if the new trackpad has the same driver characteristics as the older one, but two-finger scrolling feels so natural on the prior version MBP that I'd hate to live without it.

3. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well perhaps I didn't describe it very well because I'm on a MBP classic as I type this right now and it does the exact same thing as my new MBP. In fact all the old models and new ones here at the Sydney store do the exact same thing...so its probably just a Mac OS issue or a notebook thing. Perhaps its not even an issue as no one else seems bothered by it. I just know scrolling is smoother on my iMac when using the arrow keys...and its hard to compare 2 finger scrolling to using the mouse wheel.

4. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

Just a wild guess, would it be related to the sensitivity of the trackpad? I mean, it has to pick up the motion in order to do the scroll, right? That'd be different from do the scrolling with actual keys (either the key is pressed or it is not pressed)...

I'm a new MBP user so I may not have experienced this issue yet, I'm impressed with the 2 finger scrolling gesture :D

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

It could be your trackpad settings. I've got mine set up with tracking speed right in the middle (5) and two finger scrolling 'scrolling speed' set at 2, on the slow side. I find it works great.

Edit - added this paragraph last: In Firefox, preferences, advanced... check "use smooth scrolling." It makes it much smoother, and is my default setting for FF. With two-finger scrolling on the MBP it is pretty interesting using my settings... and I really like it. The scrolling has a bit of a 'bounce' in it, like the iPhone. A faster flick, and it scrolls on for a bit, up or down - a bit of an 'overshoot.' With practice it actually is addicting. As the page is gliding down after a nice fast flick, you can then stop it instantly with a two-finger tap on the trackpad. It feels very fluid.

Several things I notice... as I move my finger on the trackpad, say in a circle, if I accelerate my motion the on screen 'circle' gets bigger, or when moving diagonally or horizontally across the screen. So, when I 'swipe' my finger across the screen, the cursor slides across the whole screen with ease, yet when I move more deliberately, it is uncannily accurate, feels like an extension of my finger. I think the mid-point tracking speed give a great overall 'feel' on the trackpad, both for reach and control. On the 2-finger scrolling, I find the slower setting (2) seems to be easy to control. Like I said, in Safari it's almost like I'm actually sliding the web page with my finger, it's that smooth, even when slow. FF is a tiny bit more jumpy, but still relatively smooth. In FF, and even in other apps, depending on how sensitive they are to scrolling, I can 'flick' with two fingers up or down, and the page will scroll a bit longer, before stopping, as if it has some momentum (kind of like the iPhone does.) With a bit of practice, this becomes natural, and I'm scrolling and clicking and pointing and all the rest with very natural little flicks and very light touches. Much superior to anything on the Windows side of things.

By enabling exposé in a lower-left hot corner, and widgets in the lower-right hot corner, with a simple flick/slide of my finger I can enable either one just as easily as the new 4-finger swipe. No looking required, it's a natural as anything, especially since you can set up whichever corner works with the most natural 'flick' of a single finger depending on whether you're right or left handed. I'm not sure if I'm really ready for an "improvement" on what for me is already the ideal trackpad on the MBP classic. But, I have to assume once you get used to it, it also is pretty amazing... but I don't know yet since I've not played with one.

Attached Files:

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

I love that. I always hated pointer acceleration with Windows, but OS X got it right.

7. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thanks for all the tips, I haven't even touched the scrolling setting yet. I'll look into that.

Right out of the box, regular & fast 2 finger scrolling were very smooth, no problems there. Like I said, it was only w/ *very* slow scrolling. Say you're reading on the forum and are have your fingers on the trackpad...then slowly bring the page up as you read along...that seems to be where the flickering is.

The jagged/step type scrolling w/ the arrow keys was the same on every MBP, MB and iMac I have been able to try...and yep thats new & old MBPs. However on a friends old DELL its extremely smooth w/ the keyboard arrows....which leads me to believe that is an OS issue.