2 Firewire Drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by uplusd, Apr 12, 2008.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Hi,

Is there a way I can make two external firewire drives connected in a daisy chain configuration be seen as one physical drive to the OS?

Thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if the external drives support it and have 2 firewire ports each connect a firewire 400 to 400 cable between the two drives and then one from a drive to your Mac.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

And they will still be seen as separate drives, not one big drive. The OP is basically asking to combine the two drives into one, larger space. This can be done using a Concatenated RAID Set in Disk Utility: Disk Utility help will tell you what you want to know...

4. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'm assuming it would also work if I had external USB drives instead of firewire drives and hooked them all up to a USB hub?

5. tshoaf macrumors newbie

Well, maybe this will help?

I don't know about daisy chaining them all per se, however if the purpose of this exercise is to produce one much larger storage unit, you can both increase the speed of the read/write and cut down on usage simultaneously if you set them up to be a RAID 0 striped set, this can be done in Disk Utility. Doing this however WILL erase your data on the drives, and no given file will be stored on a single drive. In actuality it will packetize the data into small blocks of a predefined (by user) size and then divide them between the two drives, this is excellent if you have them both consistently plugged in etc, but not if you want to move them around a lot. Caveats: because of the striping process, if one of your drives fail, both of them will be useless until the good one is reformatted, id est, you will lose all of your data--and basic data recovery solutions will not work as OS X only has soft raid solutions. Also, should you unplug one of the drives while your computer is on, diskutil will see it as a drive failure and thus not allow you to get at your data, you must shut down your computer, then unplug the drives; then if you want to start up, BOTH drives must initialize simultaneously, id est, both must be plugged in at the same time before starting your operating system, lest have them seen as a drive failure... The second caveat being the reason I have come to the forums... as it seems that there should be a work around for this problem... if so I will repost when I receive an answer, and/or, more likely figure it out myself.