Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haryof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I'd like to:

1. Record streaming internet radio programs for listening to the following day.

2. Have my ibook shut down automatically at a changeable predetermined time after the recording period is over. The application would have to shut down any running programs.

So, I'm interested in 1. a simple recording program for the above use, and 2. an automated shutdown program.

I know about audacity, but would like something with a smaller footprint. I have been doing this on my pc for a while with freeware, but now I'm experimenting with my first Mac, a hand-me-down G3 500 MHz ibook with OS X 10.3.9.

Thanks for any advice. I searched the forum a bit but didn't come up with anything.

akame

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
I'd like to:

1. Record streaming internet radio programs for listening to the following day.

2. Have my ibook shut down automatically at a changeable predetermined time after the recording period is over. The application would have to shut down any running programs.

So, I'm interested in 1. a simple recording program for the above use, and 2. an automated shutdown program.

I know about audacity, but would like something with a smaller footprint. I have been doing this on my pc for a while with freeware, but now I'm experimenting with my first Mac, a hand-me-down G3 500 MHz ibook with OS X 10.3.9.

Thanks for any advice. I searched the forum a bit but didn't come up with anything.

u can try fstream
located
at
http://www.sourcemac.com/?page=fstream

but it does not shutdown your mac..it what i can find.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
You can use Applescripts to shut down your Mac, or use parental controls to do the same I believe, if you don't use admin account.

haryof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks This (a Mac) is all a bit new--but I'm learning! I think I'll get a book to shorten my learning phase.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks This (a Mac) is all a bit new--but I'm learning! I think I'll get a book to shorten my learning phase.

The book may ordinarily help, but you are also running an OS that is about 4 years and 2 operating systems old! The books you will most readily find now will be for 10.5 Leopard, which has been out about 15 months, or perhaps for 10.4 Tiger, which was out for the previous 3 years in both Power PC then Universal/Intel forms. Finding something for 10.3 Panther will be tough.

While many of the more basic functions will be the same regardless, so may changes, improvements and added features have appeared over the last two operating systems, that buying a more recent book may hurt you as much as it will help. To that I will add that some of the apps you may find or have been/will be recommended on this thread may not function or be supported by the developers for your OS. Most things today require 10.4 or higher.

Sorry to be a downer, but that's the truth.

haryof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Not a problem. It helps to know the limitations. I'm not sure exactly what I'll use this machine for. At the moment it's mainly for 'playing' and introducing myself the how the Mac does things. I think a friend may have a "Mac for Dummies' type book of the right era, which will tell me some basic things--like how to create a folder without a right mouse button menu!

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Not a problem. It helps to know the limitations. I'm not sure exactly what I'll use this machine for. At the moment it's mainly for 'playing' and introducing myself the how the Mac does things. I think a friend may have a "Mac for Dummies' type book of the right era, which will tell me some basic things--like how to create a folder without a right mouse button menu!

The book may well be helpful then, as it will give you some basic tips...like that you CAN, in fact, have the function of a "right click". I am assuming this existed as far back as 10.3 (I don't remember or sure offhand) but you can achieve this in one of two ways. First, if you are actually using a mouse, go into System Preferences and click on the "Mouse" option. You can adjust the functionality of your mouse to include a right click. If you are not using a mouse, but instead a trackpad and click button, you can achieve right click by pressing and holding the click bar OR, the way I prefer, go into System Preferences into the Keyboard section. You should be able to activate Secondary Click by the checkbox. Once you do, you can achieve it by tapping the trackpad with two fingers. This will give you the equivalent of a right click functionality.

Enjoy the Mac. It's a fantastic way to play.

haryof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the tip. Just this afternoon a friend handed me 'The Missing OS X manual', so I've got some bedside reading to do.

Sirikazy

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Maia (Portugal)
Hi!

You know another app that can record the sound but also the information of each music is playing and record in separated mp3´s?

Thks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.