2 GB of RAM for next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, May 17, 2012.

1. Timzer macrumors 6502

It seems the innovation train never stops running at Samsung. They've just announced they are now mass producing new 2 GB mobile RAM. It seems this may now be the norm as it will be cheap as having 1 GB of RAM at the same time using less power. The GS3 in Japan has already been confirmed to have 2 GB of RAM. Anything to make multitasking more efficient and also help for future OS and App updates.

Source

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Would be nice, but your source is giving a time frame of 2013, not likely for the next iphone, but maybe the one after it?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wish we had more ram... for the purpose of web browsing. You load a few web pages and the first one you loaded is already toast. I suspect we will finally get 1GB of ram on board, but I don't think 2.

5. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

The article said mainstream by end of 2013. Since when did anyone consider the iPhone mainstream. As I stated earlier, the SGS3 will be released with 2 GB of RAM in Japan. So that being said, there is no reason for Apple not to put it in the next iPhone if the cost will be the same as 1 GB or ram is now. The only thing that will stop this from happening is Apple being more interested in getting there pockets fatter.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, based on the ridiculous amount of chips that Apple buys up, I think it would pretty much have to be mainstream. Apple has never used bleeding edge hardware in their phones, by the way. They basically use mainstream components that have great performance when married with a smooth as silk OS.

7. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

It will more likely come with the iPad first, and then for the upcoming iPhone.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Since the iPhone is the most sold phone, I guess it is pretty mainstream.

9. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

There fixed. ;)

10. lamboman macrumors 6502

Samsung use hardware as the selling point of their devices. It's always going to be more memory, etc.

More memory isn't necessary. 512MB is the right amount. You have to remember that Apple prefers to combine services (hence why we have a single push service) when it can. It results in better performance and battery life, without simply chucking power at the problem.

11. cynics macrumors G4

I agree. Software optimization is better then just overpowering the problem. However after seeing some videos of what the S3 can do its no wonder iOS only needs 512mb and Android needs more. It looked like you could watch a video in a box in the foreground (that you could placed wherever) while continuing to do whatever else you wanted. Impressive stuff for a smart phone.

12. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

My guess is no. Apple's pricing tends to have the 16GB iPhone cost around $180-$190. Adding 2GB of RAM would take away from another upgrade.

Assuming that they do move to a larger screen, that additional cost has to be factored in that pricing.

13. benfica88 macrumors regular

If Apple intends to stay serous in the gaming side, they have to upgrade. Right now games keep getting bigger and bigger and my iPhone4 is having a hard time keeping up. Some of these newer games use over 200mb of Ram. You can switch to an app and back and your game state has been closed.
    The new iPhone needs to have at least 1gb and preferably 2gb. Games are only going to get bigger and bigger.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Just waiting for a Samsung phone to surpass the specs of my 8 gig laptop. Maybe next year. ;)

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sure there is. It uses more battery...and for what? To let more Safari pages stay loaded? Most people wouldn't really notice the benefit but they would notice shorter battery life.

So this is a trade-off that most iPhone users wouldn't appreciate. (Not all, but the majority.)

This is not to say it won't happen eventually, but this is why iPhone RAM sizes have lagged a bit behind what the super-users on this site often ask for. Apple has to drag its feet on RAM as they let battery life improve. As the electronics shrink they'll keep making the battery bigger and stuff like 'more RAM' will become less of a trade-off in years to come.

But that will be later. There will eventually be an iPhone with 2 GB of RAM but it sure won't be this year and probably not next year either. I think 1 GB in the near-term is far more likely for no reason other than battery life.

16. cynics macrumors G4

I find the limitation of iOS a to help apple not need more RAM. I've only thought a hand full of times "maybe more RAM would have helped there".

I think apple is currently doing it right with the amount of RAM vs the need for more with iOS.

Btw I'm a spec whore but I'm realistic at the same time. As far as supporting the current OS and apps the 4S does a tremendous job. Not saying that I don't think iOS couldn't use an overhaul either btw.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think the 4s still holds up very well in the RAM department, better than most other phones. I don't think we will see 2gb this year. Maybe next year.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That might have been my favourite feature!

Haha :p

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

The iPhone is very mainstream. It's been that way for several years. I'd like to see it, but based on your source, it's not very likely.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You should try upgrading from the original iPhone.

Seriously, I have never seen such an issue on my 4S. The main bottleneck on most of our iPhones is the cellular connection, and that should be rectified with 4G LTE. I've got 1GB of RAM in my third-generation iPad and can't really tell any difference between it and the iPad 2.

21. iFiend macrumors 65816

::lowers head and sighs::

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Huh? :confused: I have the 4S. Load 5+ Safari pages and go back to the original. Unless the page is mostly composed of text, the original page has to be reloaded. At least it does for me, and has with every version of the iPhone, every time.

EDIT: Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I tried it again after posting here. Loaded 5 pages and going back to previous pages forced a full refresh of the page 3/5 times.

23. DanteMann, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

DanteMann macrumors 6502

I think the article meant mainstream as in cheaper everyday phones. I believe that's how Timzer read it as well. Most everyone on this forum that bows down to Apple consistently say people buy other phones because "they can't afford the iPhone." To me that indicates it is not considered mainstream.
    The word mainstream would never be associated with a high end premium product. I would never consider the SGS3 mainstream.