>2 GB of RAM in mid-2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by devburke, Sep 30, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

I’ve seen conflicting reports on what the max amount of RAM my MacBook can take is. It’s a mid-2007, white, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Due MacBook with 2 GB in it right now. I’ve thought about getting more memory, but some places say it only takes up to 2 GB anyway. Does anyone know more about this?

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You can install 4GB but your MacBook will only utilize ~3.3GB of it.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Crucial.com's RAM finder says 2GB is the maximum that machine will support. IIRC, the ability to go to 3.3GB (4GB installed) came with the revision that changed the graphics from GMA950 to x3100.

Edit: Apple's own tech spec page: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP18

4. devburke thread starter Guest

I’ve got GMA 950, so does that mean I would see no benefit from upgrading?

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Refer to OWC's MacBook memory upgrade page HERE and see the ** and the *** notes about your model and the benchmark link.

6. devburke thread starter Guest

That’s why I’m so confused though. Because Apple and Crucial’s pages will say 2 GB max, and then some places (like your link) will say 4 GB max. I don’t want to put down the money for some new memory that might not even do anything. Can anyone explain why it’s reported differently in different places?

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

A lot of models can handle more than the specified Apple amount. No one is clear why Apple won't admit it. For example, my 17" MBP (previous generation) is Apple approved to only 4 GB. Lots of web sites have tested 6 GB and it works just fine in my experience.

If OWC says that it can take 4 (or 3.3ish) GB, then it works. Don't worry about it. Enjoy your upgrade if you choose to get it!

8. iThad macrumors newbie

Black MacBook

I just ordered 4 GB RAM for my computer listed below. You think when I install it that it will work????

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook 2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.13f3

9. mattais macrumors member

Assuming you bought the correct type, I would be very surprised if you guys have any problems. I've never heard of the update to the x3100 graphics chip making any difference.

I'd imagine the reason why Apple doesn't officially support it would be that they

a) Wouldn't support 3GB, as you would lose Dual Channel support with different sized sticks, and
    b) Won't support 2x2GB sticks as you can only utilise 3.3GB

10. iThad macrumors newbie

Ok sorry.. I don't know if it is just me or not but dude i didn't understand if that was a yes or no?? Do you think it will work or not?? just curious

11. mattais macrumors member

I'm sorry, I meant that I think you will be fine ;)

12. iThad macrumors newbie

haha alright thanks so much appreciate the help