2 GB or 4 GB on base model 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairh, Aug 16, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Before you scream "get 4 GB's!", please look over my needs.

I'd be using my 13" base model MBP for mostly basic stuff for now (web, email, itunes, youtube, etc). However down the road I plan to get into HD video with a Canon HV40 camcorder. Would I notice a difference with 4 GB's down the road with video editing? I know 2 GB's is plenty for the simple tasks previous described.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you will be doing HD video, get the 4GB. Since it is down the road, you can wait, and the prices will drop when you actually need it.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I need to get the laptop sooner vs. later.

In what respect will I see a performance difference with the 4 GB of RAM vs. 2 GB in regards to video editing in HD?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Everything will be faster. Video editing is CPU and RAM intensive.

5. kenobe23 macrumors member

You should buy the computer from Apple with 2GB RAM. Then you can wait to upgrade until you need more. Even if you want the computer right now with 4GB RAM it's a good idea to buy the 2GB model and upgrade to 4GB yourself. It's cheaper that way (and very easy.)

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I vote for getting the base config. w. 2GB RAM. With a student discount if you can. 16GB Touch, HP Printer, & laptop for $1100 with rebates. I think that's a pretty good deal. You can always upgrade the RAM & HDD when you need to and the prices on both are dropping weekly.

7. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Like everyone said buy the 2gb now and wait till you need to do that other intense stuff heck by then maybe the 8gb will be reasonable.

8. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

I'll jump on the bandwagon, get the 2GB's and upgrade later if you need to. I ordered mine with the 4GB's but that was just because I plan on gaming some through bootcamp, and it was only $90

9. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Just went to the Apple Store. Rep said he did not recommend Final Cut Express on the 13" base model. Especially with 2 GB's of RAM.

Any thoughts to that?

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Why wouldn't FCE run on a base model? It's running on G4 PPC for Pete's sake. RAM can be added and there's no reason that it wouldn't run just fine even with 2GB of RAM. Rep doesn't have a clue. Not the first time they've given bad info:

Attached Files:

11. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Honestly starting to think of just buying the baseline model, and when the time comes if I choose to use Express, just do so on what I have. If it's a horrid experience, I'll update the RAM. Just don't want to spend the $ on something I really never needed.

12. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I got the 2.53, but essentially paid about $300 for having the CPU at 2.53Ghz instead of 2.26Ghz. Only about 12% faster CPU. That's the only real difference, the others being RAM and harddrive which you can upgrade.

There's not a huge difference between the two. Maybe 4GB will make a big difference but it's cheaper to get the base model and then upgrade. Upgrading the RAM yourself costs something like $70 or less in the US.

If Final Cut Pro runs well on the 2.53 it runs well on the 2.26 too (probably better if you upgrade the RAM). Unless you a sure you want to pay about $300 for a slightly faster CPU, get the base MBP.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I run FCE on my Late 2006 2.0GHz white MB just fine, I only have 3GB of RAM and it is much slower than those machines.

14. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

r.j.s, i totally hear that.

i think sales reps at Apple (and there is nothing wrong with this per se) sometimes scare customers into believing they need something when they really don't. would i benefit from 4 GB's of RAM? i'm sure i would. but can i get the job done with a basemodel mbp for what i'm looking to do? yes, i believe i can.

again, the sales reps at Apple are not at all being sleazy. i think their intentions are genuine and they are upselling because your experience as a mac user will be potentially smoother by shelling out the $ for stronger computing equipment. but at the same time you gotta really do your homework and not believe what they advise entirely in some regards.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can, perfectly fine. But, but the time you are looking to work with the HD video, you could probably get 4GB of RAM dirt cheap, so it would be well worth it.