2 gb RAM in Parallels (newbie)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nielsmoll, Jun 4, 2011.

1. nielsmoll macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum (and Parallels on mac as well (almost)), so I have some questions I hope you can answer:
    I have Parallels installed (with Wndows 7). When I installed Windows, I gave it 64 gB. But I think it is too much, so this is my first question - can I make it down to like... 48 gb?

My second question is; My Windows currently runs with 1 gb of RAM - can I get it to run with 2 gb of RAM? (Most of the games require this, and when I installed Windows it wasn't because I wanted to play games, but now I will). If possible - will it affect my mac, if I give it 2 gb? (My mac have 4 gb) - it's only when I'm running Parallels/Windows it will affect my mac, so when I shut it down, I will have 4 gb on my mac again - right?

Yeah you can hear I'm a noob to this - I hope you understand the questions.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You can give your Windows VM 2 GB of RAM.

You should be fine as long as you don't have too many things open while your using Parallels. If you do, it will start paging to the hard drive and slow everything down.

I don't know if you can re-size a Virtual Hard Drive in Parallels. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes you can resize a VM HDD. Open Parallels from the Applications folder/menu, then at the top, click the VIRTUAL MACHINE menu then CONFIGURE.

With the configure window open click the HARDWARE tab, then Hard Drive. I turned mine down to 25GB.

Almost any hardware/setting can be changed in this window.