2 GB vs 4 GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smooth, Dec 13, 2007.

1. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Hi Everyone,

I'm just curious as to when it is a good idea to upgrade to 4 GB. I am not a heavy user, mainly using Firefox, Yahoo Messenger and iTunes almost all the time and then a combination of MacSword, Pages, Keynote and Numbers (not all 4 at the same time).

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to 4 GB? Would I see an noticeable difference? I plan on keeping my MacBook for a few years, so I would probably upgrade at some point. I am just wondering if would be worth it to do sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your input!!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I recommend checking Activity Monitor and watching your page in/page out ratio. If you are paging out 1/4 or more of what you are paging in (for example, you're paging out 60 MB of data and paging in 180 MB - this is a 1/3 ratio), you need more RAM.

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I assume you are talking about RAM, and with that in mind, I'd say, for the time being, you'll probably not notice a terrible difference. I would recommend doing the upgrade in a year or two, when prices drop, and the increase in performance will be more noticeable when you're using updated, more resource-hogging applications.

4. ricardo1064 macrumors member

if that's all you do with your mac, save your money... I thought macbooks couldn't handle more than 2 gigs anyway?

5. just02 macrumors member

Open Activity Monitor and check under the System Memory tab to see how much ram you have free. When you're doing your tasks, that should never drop too low, such as double or single digits, if it does, you could benefit from extra ram!

EDIT wrldwzrd89 beat me! :p Silly phones, they're distracting. ;) Oh. ricardo1064, no, the new SR based MacBooks support up to 4GB.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

core duos ->2gb
    core 2 duos-> 3.3gb
    sr-> 4gb

The only ones limited to 2gb are the very first models.

7. ricardo1064 macrumors member

did not know this, thank you...

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The intelmacs + OS X are ram hogs, but for the uses you listed, 2GB would be sufficient for now. However, with every new version of OS X & it's corresponding apps, ram requirements WILL continue to rise 4 sure.

If I were you, I would keep an active eye on the ram prices starting today, and see where the price trend is headed. Once you start to see significant reductions start, buy some more.

Hopefully with the continued production of computers that use the same type/speed/size of ram as the MB's do, the ram makers will keep producing the ram in sufficient qty's, which will keep the prices stable.

Economics 101 dictates that when demand is high but supply is low, prices go up. Or vice versa.........when suppy is high but demand is low, prices will fall rapidly. Or worst case, both suppy & demand remain somewhat constant & equal, the prices will stay fairly stable, at least until one of the factors change...........

9. smooth thread starter macrumors 6502

smooth

Thanks for all the responses. When I check my Activity Monitor, it shows over 1 GB still free. I have been checking prices and it looks like upgrading will cost about $100. So maybe after tax time I'll go for it, but it doesn't sound like it's an immediate need. Again, I appreciate the input!