2 GHz vs. 2.2 AND the Radeon 6490 vs. 6750

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matterest, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Matterest macrumors newbie

Hey,

Buying a new MacBook Pro. Curious about opinions on:

A) 2 GHz vs. 2.2 GHz Processor
    B) the AMD Radeon 6490 vs. 6750

I'm a pretty basic notebook user (e-mail, internet, word processing.) I do not play comp games at all.

But I'm getting a lot more into video editing in Final Cut and working in After Effects. I'm not a pro, but I'd also like to be able to hook-up some peripherals and cut a feature film, while being able to bounce back and forth from Photoshop.

I basically feel fine about the lower processor speed. But am I missing out by not having that faster Radeon?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i recently bought the low end 15" for a few reasons....

1.) it was all my budget would allow for comfortably as it is $400 before tax for the high end.

2.) it has more than enough power for my uses i was originally considering the 13" line but after a bad hinge i returned it and opted for the 15" as i like the extra screen real estate. plus i was coming from an old C2D imac from 09 so it is a huge power increase and i most only do word/excel work for business and designing websites.
    I game but very moderately only TF2 and SC2 really and those both played fine on the 13" i have a ps3 and xbox 360 for gaming.

3.) i am a tech junkie so i am always upgrading i usually upgrade every two years unless something comes out that i really like prior (the wife is ok with this as she gets my hand me downs lol)

here are the reasons i would say go for the high end...

1.) will your budget allow for it, yes? then get it it will last longer and the gpu will be very beneficial.

2.)do you game? do a lot of 3d rendering? if so then go for the high end

3.)how often do you refresh your machine? if your going to hold onto it for like 3-5 years you will likely want to opt for the high end while the processor might not be a huge boost the gpu boost is and will make a big difference down the road. $2200+tax is more now but if it lasts you longer then you spend less overall.

so really only you can decide what to get but if you can afford the high end model go for it.

3. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Mostly gamers and people that use programs that do a lot of 3d rendering would benefit from the high end 15" Macbook pro, otherwise the 2.0 base model is more than powerful for your needs. I had the same dilemma but settled on the 15" 2.0 base model.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

6750. Easily.

The extra video RAM with it (1GB) will come in handy and some Photoshop effects (like with PixelBender) will definitely make use of the video RAM. The 6490 comes with 256MB - which is too low a quantity. On my Mac Pro, I rarely but do get "out of video RAM" errors if I try to process anything over 8.5x11@300DPI, as the 4870 in it has but 512MB! :eek:

5. Newbe macrumors member

2 GHz vs. 2.2 AND the Radeon 6490 vs. 6750

Hey,

Buying a new MacBook Pro. Curious about opinions on:

A) 2 GHz vs. 2.2 GHz Processor
    B) the AMD Radeon 6490 vs. 6750

I'm a pretty basic notebook user (e-mail, internet, word processing.) I do not play comp games at all.

But I'm getting a lot more into video editing in Final Cut and working in After Effects. I'm not a pro, but I'd also like to be able to hook-up some peripherals and cut a feature film, while being able to bounce back and forth from Photoshop.

I basically feel fine about the lower processor speed. But am I missing out by not having that faster Radeon?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matterest,

The bottom line depends on what you will be doing with your MBP. I went with the 2.0GHz because I am not into gaming. In fact for what I do on the computer I would not notice any significant difference between my MBP and the high end MBP. I upgraded the hard drive to 500GB at @7200 and high resolution and I will install additional ram.
    So, the issue is whether you are going to use the use the Radeon? If so, go with the 2.2GHz. If not, buy the 2.0GHz and use your money for upgrades e.g., third party solid state drive (the prices should go down), quality bag/case, digital SLR, etc. Whatever you decide, don't go above 2.2GHz because it will not be worth it. It is all up to you. Good luck.:)

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The 2.0 is more than sufficient for your tasks, as the 2.0 is still faster than most pre-SB desktops. If you can afford it, get the 2.2 for the graphics, but if you aren't using it for media/gaming, it probably isn't worth it and the lower end GPU is fine. Do get the high res screen though; it is splendidly pleasing :)