2 GSM iPhone 4's not powering after screen replacement.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SKBeck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. SKBeck macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been repairing CDMA iPhone 4's for a while now. Probably done 2 dozen screen repairs without any problems. I recently picked up a few GSM iPhone 4's with cracked screens but no other issues. I replaced the screens on the first one and it's bricked. No power at all. Figured it was some kind of fluke so I went to the second one. Replaced the screen. Bricked. No power at all. I am at a complete loss as to what may have happened here.

I've tried everything I can think of. Switching batteries with batteries that i know that work. I've checked the power flex cable for any kind of breakage. I've dissembled both, switched motherboards, checked all the connectors.

If there is anything anyone else on here can think of to recommend trying let me know. I got them both on the cheap but I"m still out $300 that I could have sold them for. All I can think of is that I somehow shorted the logic boards. Kind of amazing to me that I'd short them both though given that I've done dozens of cdma replacements and never shorted a single board.

Any kind of helpful suggestions that don't equate to "you're an idiot" would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

where did you source the screens from? my guess is that if this happened twice in a row, the screens couldve been bad/subpar replacements and somehow shorted the battery out. or.....the phones are indeed on and working and the screens are just DOA. but my guess is you wouldve tried plugging them into itunes to see if they were truly on.

3. SKBeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, tried that. The phones aren't on. Why would you suspect the battery and not the mother board?

4. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Were you using an anti-static wrist strap/ mat? If not, it is quite possible that static shock could have fried the logic board.

Or you could also have received defective screens if you did not have a reliable/ trustworthy source.

You can also try to reset the device by holding the power button and home button. Sometimes after a screen replacement, the screens will stay black, but a reset will fix the issue.