Resolved 2 hard drives and dualboot in MacBook - please help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Samuel Gordon, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Samuel Gordon, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Samuel Gordon macrumors member

On eBay I bought Nimitz caddy and installed there my hard drive WD Black 320GB and I put SSD Intel 320 into standard position (maybe it’s better to have it the other way round but for now it’s like that). The SSD is new and on HDD is my system (Lion). I booted normally to Lion, formatted SSD and named it the same as my system partition (Macintosh HD) - maybe the same name was the mistake, I don’t know. Then I downloaded installer and started the installation into SSD (I selected on which disk I wanted to install). I rebooted, the installation was about to continue and I had to select on which disk I want to install (again). From this point it started to be very weird because both disks named "Macintosh HD“ had different identifiers (disk0, disk1) but free and used space shown were the same on both. On my SSD it was something like - used 221 GB, free 71 GB (the actual levels on my HDD) although it’s only 120 GB and before installation format was performed. I couldn’t install on SSD. There was an error and if I chose HDD, the installation was successfully over in 1 second but I couldn’t boot. There were only „Install partition“ and „Recovery HD“ (and I couldn’t boot to „Recovery HD“ either). I unplugged the SSD, still only those 2 partitions. So I started the installation and I was able to install Lion over my actual system (it took about 30 minutes). Now I am OK with my system, SSD unplugged and HDD in the caddy.

Can someone please tell me how to install system on the SSD correctly and still be able to boot to my old HDD?

Thank you.

2. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

If anyone finds this post in the future, the problem was solved by using different names for the disks. Yeah, that simple :)