2 HD failures, what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vader, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Nearly a month ago woot had a deal on seagate 7200.10 500gb HDs. I didn't see that they were refurbished before I had bought them, but found out later. Anyway, I got 2 cheap enclosures, and now both drives have failed. One revs, clicks, revs, clicks. The other doesn't spin at all and just gets an electric buzz. The enclosures both still work fine with another drive in them.

The issue is that now I must send them in the seagate. The packaging they came in from woot does not meet the specs that seagate has for their returns. I have to buy HD shipping stuff from another company. The one they suggest sells a 1 HD box for $15 and a 10 hd box for $40 plus the cost of shipping from them and the cost for me to ship the drives back to seagate. I only spent $50 each on these drives in the first place, so I don't feel like throwing that kind of money around again.

I am sure people have dealt with HD failures before around here, so what can I do to get through this? I don't need data recovery, just working drives.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've always used a box with 2"-3" of extra space around the HDD. Put the drive in the anti-static bag, and pack it with flat foam (not Styrofoam). Never had any problems, and this is what the seagate packaging accomplishes anyway. I just don't always have the molded foam lying around. Unless there is already replacement drive packaging lying around. ;)

Does this help? :)

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Do you know of anywhere I could pick up some foam?

Wal-mart is my main option here at school.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could try there, or places like Office Depot, and even building supply houses. I used to get mine from a furniture upholstery shop, or a foam and rubber supply house. That was in a large city though. :(

You could also use massive amounts of bubble wrap, or even the packing peanuts. If you do, I'd go a slightly larger box. Take the drive with you when selecting the box, and you shouldn't have a problem. :)

On a side note, try checking with the university IT dept, and some of the technical colleges. Engineering, chemistry, physics,... as they may have something lying around they would be willing to spare. ;) And this would almost certainly be free. :D

Good Luck. :)

5. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Yeah, I am going to check with the bookstore guy tomorrow and I can probably ask around at the Electrical building.

6. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Do the advanced replacement from Seagate. They will send you the box with the replacement drive and you can ship yours back in that.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Smart. Saves you money in this economic meltdown. :D

8. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I just like it because it's easy. I am not a procrastinator though, but if you are watch out. They will ask for a credit card and charge you a ridiculous amount for the drive if you fail to return yours in time.

9. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Problem is that option costs $20. I want to get through this with a minimum amount of money spent.

10. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Given your mentioned options above, aren't you splitting hairs since the $19.00 covers the return shipping as well?

11. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Good point.
    I was hoping to get packaging for it free, but so far from who I have talked to, it seems I might not be able to do so.

Also, since I have 2 drives that failed, I would have to pay the $20 twice, unless they have an option to send me two new drives in one package that I am not seeing.