#2 HD won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeffreyH, Jul 8, 2009.

1. jeffreyH macrumors newbie

I installed a 2nd hard drive a couple years ago, Serial ATA. Model is WDC. Worked fine. Now it won't show up on the desktop when I startup. It clicks 5 times, then is silent for a few seconds. Repeats this for about a minute then nothing.

When Drive #1 finishes booting up, I get a window asking if I want to INITIALIZE or IGNORE. I'm ignoring it for now since I'm hoping to save the files I have on it.

Disk Utilities sometimes "sees" this drive (not very often); sometimes it does not. When it does see it, any Repair or Verify buttons are gray.

System Profiler does let me "see" that the drive is there. That's where I got the model.

Any ideas on how I can repair this drive w/o resorting to formatting it again?

PowerMac G5 running OS 10.4.11

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it's clicking and not showing up, the drive is probably dying.
    do you have a backup?

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Nothing lasts forever. If it has stuff on it you HAVE to get to, and don't have backups (bad idea) then you need to send it to a data recovery company and see if they can get into it.

4. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

yes don't try using software. you will only damage it further. right now, you have a decent chance of getting the data back by using a company

drivesavers is a popular place and quite capable.