2 HD's in one MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richard Johnson, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Richard Johnson macrumors member

How is this possible, I see people posting about this.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

you replace the DVD burner with a second hard drive, inside a small caddy or enclosure that fills in the extra space.

the optical drive is connected to the logic board with a typical SATA connector, so you just have to make sure that you've got the right hard drive, and switch them out.

You forgo the ability to read and burn CDs and DVDs without an external USB drive, but most people don't use a lot of physical media these days, and the extra hard drive space/speed can be much more useful.

If they need to burn a DVD or something, they connect to the external burner, and burn away.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I may finally go this route as well - two small capacity SSDs on board and a large external SATA or Thunderbolt connected array for the data library.

It costs $$$ but I am ready to dump the mechanical hard drives onboard.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

There should be a kit for this. A caddy for installing a 2nd internal drive and an enclosure to put the superdrive in so you can use it externally.

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

Isn't this exactly what optibay is?

6. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I was thinking about going this route with the Apple 128gb SSD and adding the stock 750gb drive that came with my 15"i7. The only thing I am worried about is what happens if I need to dual boot Windows 7 with Bootcamp? Will I have to partition my already measly 128gb SSD to share with Bootcamp? Or is there any way to boot off of my 2nd internal 750gb drive? I can get the 128gb SSD from apple for $90 if with the education diccount. That's CRAZY cheap!

7. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm curious about this one as well, I would be OK with 128gb SSD primarily used for OSX and Windows Partition, while using the HDD for all the data shared between both if that is possible. Not sure how this would work, if any guides on this exist, would be awesome.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

Here is a thread that will be useful.

$90 for a 128GB SSD from Apple, huh? May have to look into that.