2 Home Folders! How do I get rid of One

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MOKHAN, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

SSD (for boot/apps) and HDD (for data) in my MBP. When I used Carbon Copy Cloner I transferred over everything, and simply redirected the SSD to the HDD Home folder through System Preferences.

So now both the SSD and HDD have a home folder on them, as well as boot files and everything else. I want to get rid of the home folder on the SSD as it's useless, but when I try to 'Move to Trash' it doesn't let me and says it's currently being used by OSX. How would I do so?

2. Kasalic macrumors regular

Redirecting through System Preferences is not recommended.

1 I'd make a temporary admin account, log into this account.
    2 Go to Accounts and delete BOTH the existing duplicated accounts, however when asked what to do with the home folders, select delete on the SSD one and leave intact on the HDD one.
    3 Make a new account being sure to use the exact same short and long names as your original account. If all goes well then you should get a message telling you that a Home folder already exists and asking if you want to use it. Say yes and it's job done.
    4 Log onto the new account and delete the temporary admin account.

If this doesnt work then post back and I'll have another look.

3. MOKHAN, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

MOKHAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, trying it now.

----------

Alright, problem is I can ONLY access the home folder if I log on to that drive. For example, if I boot into the HHD I will only see 1 account (mine). If I boot into the SSD I will also only see 1 account (mine, but the duplicate). In order to delete the one one on the SSD I have to make a new administrator account (like you said) and THEN delete it, but when I do that, I can't get rid of the new administrator account I just made.

4. MOKHAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright Kasalic, I've come to the conclusion what I ultimately want to do is impossible

I want to boot from the SSD and have the home folder on my HDD, BUT I think it's impossible to boot to a drive that does not have a home folder on it. Correct?

What I'm trying to figure out now is if I wipe my HDD (keep my home folder on my SSD), how can I make it so documents, downloads and such will be saved to the HDD automatically without actually having a Home Folder on it? Is this even possible?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

It isn't impossible, there are lots of tutorials online showing you just this, i.e. one drive for boot with home folder redirected to another HD. I used to use this setup myself but realized easier for me to just put my music, photos, etc directories on the 2nd HD and leave the home folder on the SSD.