~2 Hours of HD Footage to Timelapse

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Caliber26, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I went out last night and recorded the erecting of a huge Christmas tree at Disney World. I'd never shot a time lapse video before and it wasn't until after I had already started, that a friend told me those things are actually done with still shots and not video. (goes to show how clueless I am on the subject :eek:)

I went ahead and recorded anyway. I recorded about 15 ten-minute clips at 720P on my DSLR. Is there a way to somehow merge all those clips and then speed them up to about 2-3 minutes total? I'm thinking maybe through iMovie but is there, perhaps, another way of doing this? In the past, I've imported 15-minute clips into iMovie and it's always a real pain the ass because it takes forever to import a video and then export the final product.

Any advice that any of you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Its actually easier to do with video lol problem I find is mainly with time lapses where you need the quality of still images for color, dynamic range, etc. All you have to do is speed up the video, iMovie should have an option for like 2x, 4x and 8x speed ups, its not exactly magical feature so I'd expect to find it on the latest iMovie. And yeah rendering video is a pain in the ass, thats why video editors spend thousands on faster computers :D :D.

3. Caliber26 thread starter macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Thank you very much for the reply. I actually just sat at my computer and imported all the video clips into iMovie and it automatically turned everything into one big movie, which I was easily able to speed up simply by dragging the speed editor. It was WAY faster and easier to do than I had feared. I'm not sure if the new update to iMovie/OS X is responsible for that, or what, but I was happy that it was all very easy to figure out. Only Apple can make a rookie like me figure this out so easily.

If you're curious about what it is I shot and how it turned out, this is it:

http://youtu.be/WbvS2Oot_tk

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Very nice! Glad I could be of use! Looks great and its giving me that Christmas spirit already. :D