Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drexl5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I just tested my internet speed and im getting 30mbps down wth why is it so slow :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could just download the 50GB of FCS 3 if you want.
Anyway, Motion 5 took 30 minutes on my average sized ... line.

Last edited:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
You could just download the 50GB of FCS 3 if you want.
Anyway, Motion 4 took 30 minutes on my average sized ... line.

Do you mean motion 5?

At OP. Does it really matter? Is there a project you need to finish tonight? 2 hours is probably faster than driving to your local store and buying FCS3 and then driving back and then spending the next few hours installing of the DVDs.

Be patient, you'll be playing in no time!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you mean motion 5?

Do I look like I meant Motion 5? Are you serious?
Nah, I meant Motion 5, I was just confused, as Compressor is still version 4 (and still looks the same, which is kinda a letdown, as the interface could have been easily simplified and brought in line with FCP X and M5.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Do I look like I meant Motion 5? Are you serious?
Nah, I meant Motion 5, I was just confused, as Compressor is still version 4 (and still looks the same, which is kinda a letdown, as the interface could have been easily simplified and brought in line with FCP X and M5.

I always thought compressor looked much to space age for FCS3. Now I think it sits nicely with the FCPx M5 looks. Although, I'm not really sure how you could have made it anymore funky?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I always thought compressor looked much to space age for FCS3. Now I think it sits nicely with the FCPx M5 looks. Although, I'm not really sure how you could have made it anymore funky?

I didn't mean more funky, but more in line with the FCP X / M5 line, like having only one window and several tabs for the steps or something like that.
If I would be proficient enough with PS and creating UI elements, I would whip out some mockup, but as of now, I have to work.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I don't know why people care so much about how Compressor looks. Really, we should care more about what the new version SHOULD have been: 64-bit and no more buggy QMaster clusters for multi-core encoding. But what we got in version 4.0 is 3.5 with a bit of polish and some extra presets. Yawn.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Yes, true. But if you have to install it again, it's another
download? And if you have to install it on 20 machines,
that requires 20 separate downloads?

What's stopping you from downloading it once and putting it on an external harddrive and installing it on the others?

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
Not saying that I don't have internet but what about those few folks out there that edit video that don't have internet access on their Macs and want to get FCPX? is there another way to get it outside of the app store?

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
My DL time

My download time was awhile, not sure exactly because I left after 20mins to let it do it's thing on my Mac Pro. This was when the news hit, so I'm guessing the store may have been getting a lot of downloads, later that night I downloaded it on my MacBook Pro and it was linder 10 min. Maybe it was just getting my copy from my account, not sure. Motion took longer on my MacBook Pro then on my Mac Pro and I downloaded it first on my Mac Pro. So I'm not sure what was going on.
I see the pros and cons on FCX, though my Sony 560v videos were up super fast, no using iMovie imports or other work arounds. So that right there was great. Trust me I have cons, but at the moment it's just getting used to the new interface.
While playingnwith FCX the first time I accidentally told the machine to get lots of video from my desktop, some even burned movies (legal) and they came up fast and looked amazing. I was shocked it took a VTS folder in without me having to tell it to do anything. Granted I didn't want it there plus it took up some GBs till I deleted it. But it was a very cool accident that showed ease of use with many formats. This only shows ease of formats, not the rest of what we need...yet. Still playing with FCX.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Took me 20 minutes here. I got lucky and downloaded it within the hour it was released within the app store.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
What's stopping you from downloading it once and putting it on an external harddrive and installing it on the others?

I don't know. What is the method you'd use there? Is the download
an installer package? Is it as easy as copying that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.