2 iMacs on network losing internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fRAiLtY-, Nov 16, 2011.

1. fRAiLtY- macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

At work we have a network of approximately 30 machines, around 15 of which are iMacs of varying ages. 2 of these machines only have massive problems with the internet access. All connections are wired. They all run on "Using DHCP with manual address" and we specify the addresses within our scope.

All other iMacs are specified within the same scope and suffer no issues at all. The issue is that whilst Ethernet and DNS are still showing as green (Connected) no internet access is possible. Usually it either takes a restart or if this doesn't work we have to switch them to DHCP, let them get an IP which works for a short while, until the same thing happens then revert to their original manual IP.

Basically these 2 iMacs switch between 2 IPv4 states depending on which one works at the time. It's always the same 2 iMac's and there appears to be nothing obvious wrong. As I say, in Settings -> Network -> Ethernet is showing connected/green at all times and DNS, IP, Gateway and Router are always populated with the correct settings, it's just the internet disappears. Naturally we've tried many browsers and believe it's not a browser issue as Mail also signals that there is no internet connection with the warning triangle.

Can anyone shed any light on this as currently these 2 iMac users are getting incredibly frustrated with switching their IPv4 configuration state several times a day and/or restarting their machines.

Cheers!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you tried moving them to a different port on the switch?

3. fRAiLtY- thread starter macrumors newbie

I could try swapping the port they plug into onto a different port on the switch, I'll try that later.

What's your thinking behind this, I'm intrigued?

Cheers.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As of now you don't know whether the computer is the problem or if the failure is somewhere else in your network. If moving it to a different port on the switch does not solve the problem, you pretty much eliminate everything from the switch to the ISP as the point of failure because other machines connected to the same switch are working.

5. fRAiLtY- thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great thanks,

Will give this a go and report back.

Cheers.

6. fRAiLtY- thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Have swapped the ports in the switch over and still the problem remains, specifically on 1 machine but the other still showing signs just not as badly.

The wiring behind the port socket is to be checked/investigated next but assuming it's not that (as they're all new ports ~6 months ago) it's looking like a machine error, can anyone off some diagnostic advice on where/what to check if there are any logs etc of what's going on.

Cheers.