2 instances of itunes simultaneously

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by williedigital, Apr 22, 2008.

1. williedigital macrumors 6502

I appologize if this has been answered before, but I can't find it. I want to run two completely separate instances of itunes simultaneiously. One will deal exclusively with audio content, the other exclusively with video content. Two separate libraries with no overlap in content. Is this possible?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only way I can think of doing that would be to set up 2 accounts on your machine and have one serving music and one serving video. You can log both of them in at the same time and have them sharing their separate libraries. May be a bit of an overhead on the system though...

3. williedigital thread starter macrumors 6502

I would be fine setting up two accounts and I think my machine could handle it fine. How would I go about the actual setting it up though? Just copy itunes to a separate folder?

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you set up two user accounts, you don't have to do anything. Mac OS X keeps completely separate libraries and preferences for each user. Just open iTunes in a new user and it uses that users files. Simple, but you do have to do user switching.

5. williedigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I see what you mean. I need both instances running simultaneously under the same user.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That unfortunately, is not possible. The reason is that the location of the iTunes preferences file is hard coded into the program and cannot be changed. The preference file is what determines where iTunes looks for its database and content files. Since any instance of iTunes will always look at the same preference file they will also always have the same content.

7. williedigital thread starter macrumors 6502