2 Intel 320 SSD's in RAID 0 on 2011 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odedia, Apr 14, 2011.

1. odedia macrumors 65816

Hi,
    Has anyone tried this configuration?

You can get pretty much a Vertex 3 240GB performance with Intel reliability, for almost the same price if setup correctly...

I would love to hear your experience.

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'm going to try it on 2 128gb drives. I just need to figure out how to configure but yet use the factory restore image. Here' a pretty good article.

http://paulstamatiou.com/how-to-apple-macbook-pro-raid-0-array-with-2-intel-x25-m-ssds

3. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Holy crap... that how-to is like writing a 100 page manual on how to work an elevator.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    he pretty much wrote a thesis - but i think it is very easy to read/follow

curious re 128K stripe?

- what i would love to see is x2 Vertex in RAID 0 config

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I want to see that, too.

I've never done my stripes at 128k. I generally do them at 64k, for other reason than it's the middle one.

I don't understand the Carbon Copy thing he gets into. He's using Time Machine, so all he has to do is set up the volume in Disk Utility and then do a full TM restore from the install disk's image (like everyone you put onto a 10 gig partition on a USB drive when you first got it).

I've done this procedure a thousand time (twice in just the last 24 hours) and I never needed anything except Apple's own stuff.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Only potential issue I see with it is that you've got two identical drives reading/writing at two different bus speeds. You'll get SATA3 out of the HDD bay but the 2011 only does SATA 2 to the optical bay.

I'd feel fuzzier with two SATA2's personally but I'll caveat my response in that I haven't looked at the ramifications in the difference in the interface speeds in RAID. May be none, but may be a lot.

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I wondered if mismatching speeds at the interface would cause problems, too. I decided just to go for it because I didn't think the specs on the C300 would push SATA2 to the point of saturation. I have had not problems so far and performance is better than I was expecting. It's also 512 gigs. How much is a Vertex 3 in 512 going to be?

[​IMG]

Where the increased performance is going to break down is when people start using Vertex 3 or the other ones coming out now.