2 internal hdd help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Russy87, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Russy87 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a early 2009 MacBook Pro. I have recently purchased a optibay (to replace the cd drive with another internal hdd). I'm not to sure on what the best setup will be. I have purchased a 240gb ssd in which I want to replace with the current hdd, and I want to put a 1tb sshd where the optibay is going. I will install Mavericks on the ssd with the main program's I want to run (photoshop, probably windows, etc...). I would like to put my itunes and iPhoto library and all the other small program's on the 1tb sshd. Will I need to also install Mavericks on the 2nd internal drive? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Michael

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That is how mine is setup (except I have my SSD in the Optibay), but OSX and Apps on the SSD, less-often used Apps and data (iTunes, iPhoto library etc etc), on the 1TB HDD.

3. Russy87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I wasn't to sure if it would work having osx installed on both internal hdd.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You can have OSX installed on both and you can then boot from either but you don't need to.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You CAN install OS X on both, but for your use, that's is just a waste of time and has no advantage.

If you needed to run two different versions of OS X natively, for example, that'd be a good way to do it.

6. ACiB708 macrumors regular

You could do that, but you can only boot the operating system from one point. So install the OS and programs in the SSD, and use the optibay for data storage: media, documents, etc.
    You'll love switching to SSD, the performance boost is very noticeable.

7. Russy87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool. Can I install itunes and iPhoto onto the storage in the optibay so I can listen to music and sync with my iphone the same as I currently do with everything in the one hdd? Will I just download itunes and install on the optibay hdd, and then transfer my current library to that drive?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. The applications themselves go on the boot drive but your library can be on the second drive.

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

No : iTunes (the application) will be installed on the SSD.

The Library can be moved to the optibay HD.

10. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs