2 internal SATA ports on new mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by statenine, Oct 25, 2012.

1. statenine macrumors newbie

does the new mac mini have dual internal SATA ports? I read somewhere that it does so it can support the dual-drive Fusion technology, but can anyone confirm? I am looking to install two SSD's inside this thing if possible! thanks

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

3. Toraen macrumors member

Do you have confirmation that the kit will work the same with 2012 as the 2011? It's not that expensive but still don't want to waste the money without confirmation.

4. statenine thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome thanks for the link! will this work in the 2012 model? On the website it says for the 2011 mac mini

5. jdryyz macrumors regular

jdryyz

Are we certain yet that the 2011 kit will work in the 2012 models?

6. dazey macrumors 6502

I am waiting to find this out too. The top end standard mini seems to be a decent bit cheaper than the server so looking to get that if I can put two drives in it

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

The teardown of the new mini notes that only the fan and the wifi antenna have changed from the 2011 model. I see no reason at all why it wouldn't work. Obviously the spot is still there in the new model or they wouldn't be able to offer the Server version with a 2nd hard drive. As I said, I've already ordered mine and have zero worries that it will work.

http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/34175374589/impressions-of-the-2012-mac-mini-updated

----------

You're paying the extra $200 for a 2nd 1TB hard drive and the cable connecting it plus OS X Server which is a $19.99 for anyone running OS X 10.8 through the App Store. Not a horrid rip off but why bother if you can install it yourself with a $45 kit and already have a drive. Plus for the most part, OS X Server just brings a bunch of stuff that's free anyways. It just has a nicer GUI to it although the support for it is junk. Don't bother looking at the manual as all it ever tells you is "It's so easy, you shouldn't even need a manual."

8. dazey macrumors 6502

the $200 works out more like $250 in the UK. Doing it myself, I would probably also add a 250GB SSD instead of the 1TB drive (changing this on the apple store costs about $200, while I can buy a samsung SSD for significantly less than this). Comparing the DIY option to a factory build, when one includes the SSD starts to make a much bigger difference.

i am intending to use the SSD as a boot and web folder drive, I will partition the 1TB to a 250GB bootable mirror of the main drive and the rest as a 'whatever' drive. I will also be chaining some SATA drives on thunderbolt.

I will be installing server, the intention is that this will eventually replace my MDD that has been running leopard server for many years. I will actually build the mini into the G4 case one day.

I will have another look at the tear downs, I noticed the new one still had the second sata port but couldn't work out if cable routing etc was the same.

9. dazey macrumors 6502

Great, I took the chance and ordered anyway. Currently configuring my mini, finally worked out how to get all the open directory users over from my old server! I picked up a 256GB crucial ssd and 8GB ram stick, just waiting for the OWC drive cable now.